smoothing out the top soil

Just took out my backyard above ground pool. It requires about 18 yards of top soil to fill it back in (was a 24' round pool). How do you smooth out the soil over a large space like that as a home owner with no power equipment? Is there some trick like dragging around a log or something that will level it out? Help

Reply to
Shel

Back side of a wide rake.

Reply to
Abe

If the removed pool was above ground (see your post), why does it take all that soil? The typical Dixie dump truck holds 12 yards.

Above ground pools are not placed directly on sod, usually a bed of sand. No excavation required.

Loose soil can be easily evened out with a bow rake upside down.

Reply to
Dioclese

If you have a riding mower, go to a fencing company and beg or buy a about 2 yards of old used 6 foot high chain link mesh and a tension bar. Using a rope or better a chain, drag it behind the mower, some weights can increase the effectiveness. The chain links will cut down the high spots and drag the soil into the low areas after roughly leveling it out. The mower will help pack it down. You will have to repeat going over the area until it is packed down and flattened out. It also works with fine gravel on a driveway. Saves some back breaking labor in getting the final level.

Reply to
EXT

on 5/29/2008 11:55 PM Dioclese said the following:

It might have been installed on a slope that was dug out to level it. My neighbor has a similar installation.

Reply to
willshak

Very imporant part of the info when seeking advice if true. Wouldn't you agree?

Reply to
Dioclese

That's my favorite operation. I have old (very old) 4' high chain link about 10' long that I double over and put a piece of pipe through - sometimes I have to put a few concrete blocks on. Been doin it that way for years. A couple years ago I bought a used tow behind York rake which is OK for gravel but I still prefer the chain link most of the time.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I used a wooden pallet turned upside down... tied it to my riding mower and pulled it back & forth. Worked like a charm Ed in NC

Reply to
Ed Taylor