smoothing out the top soil

Just took out my backyard above ground pool. It requires about 18 yards of top soil to fill it back in (was a 24' round pool). How do you smooth out the soil over a large space like that as a home owner with no power equipment? Is there some trick like dragging around a log or something that will level it out? Help

Back side of a wide rake.

If the removed pool was above ground (see your post), why does it take all that soil? The typical Dixie dump truck holds 12 yards.
Above ground pools are not placed directly on sod, usually a bed of sand. No excavation required.
Loose soil can be easily evened out with a bow rake upside down.
--
Dave

on 5/29/2008 11:55 PM Dioclese said the following:

It might have been installed on a slope that was dug out to level it. My neighbor has a similar installation.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If you have a riding mower, go to a fencing company and beg or buy a about 2 yards of old used 6 foot high chain link mesh and a tension bar. Using a rope or better a chain, drag it behind the mower, some weights can increase the effectiveness. The chain links will cut down the high spots and drag the soil into the low areas after roughly leveling it out. The mower will help pack it down. You will have to repeat going over the area until it is packed down and flattened out. It also works with fine gravel on a driveway. Saves some back breaking labor in getting the final level.

I used a wooden pallet turned upside down... tied it to my riding mower and pulled it back & forth. Worked like a charm Ed in NC