Shrub (firebush) trimming question?

I have a row of firebushes (the ones that turn red in the fall) that have grown upwards to about 8+ feet. It is now certainly time to get them back down to proportional size.

When is best time and extent of cuts that can be made on these bushes so as to NOT destroy them?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M

Are they decidious? If so, then:

Helen

You should cut them before fall. Cutting encourages new growth and you don't want that happening as they go dormant in the winter.

I'd say you could lop a couple of feet off them if they are established.

Reply to
FDR

Thanks FDR. That's what I was wondering. They certainly are established and away I will hack. Then perhaps next spring, when they sprout, they will fill in where needed.

Bob_M