removing tree stumps

what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

Reply to
jIM

Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth to have a bunch on their property?

Dan'l.

Reply to
Daniel Dravot

Some trees are messy. I despise oak trees which in the DC area produce enormous amounts of pollen in the spring and slowly drop their leaves from Nov through Jan. Nice looking and strong but not in my or my neighbors' yards. Other times when the builder removes most of the trees the remaining ones are prone to damage or toppling due to wind. They grew up in a sheltered forest and suddenly are exposed to the full force of the wind. Not good to have NW of your house around here.

Reply to
Jeff

Most trees give off pollen. Oak trees are beautiful. Just be thankful you don't have a Catalpa tree, or worse, a female Ginkgo tree.

Reply to
Bob

We had a big beautiful oak tree where I grew up. Some garden service told my mother it wasn't well and we had to dig a trench around it, a couple feet deep. She didn't want to spend the money, but she trusted him and she did it.

I was there, a couple years ago, 46 years later, and the tree is bigger and more beautiful.

In fact the house and yard look as nice as they did when we moved out.

mm

What was the point of the trench? I've never heard of this.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I don't really know. I was 9 years old.

I'll admit that I think I've only seen one other in my whole life, and I'm not sure that one was actually dug. By the time I saw it, it was at ground level on one side, and may have just been the way the ground was, without any digging.

I guess my mother wondered if she really had to do what he said, and I'm so happy it didn't make things worse, that I'm assuming it was good advice.

mm