Re: New House, no chemicals?

I agree that chemically there may be no difference between organic and chemical fertilizers. However, organic fertilizers tend to be non-water soluable, while the chemical ones are water soluable. For that reason, organic fertilizers release the nutrients slowly, providing a steadier, lower-level source of nutrients over a longer period of time.

Don't ask me which one you should use though. I'm sure there's a case for either type.

scott

No chemicals isn't necessarily healthier. If you check so-called natural > source fertilizers you will find that many are exactly the same thing as the > *usually* cheaper "chemical" product. Just because the product is produced > chemically doesn't make it worse than, say, ground pelletized chicken > scraps. Nitrogen is nitrogen is nitrogen. It doesn't really matter where it > came from, it's still nitrogen. > > Organic doesn't always mean better. Just as an example, there was a lot of > talk on the news a while back about a study paid for by an organic farmers' > association to compare organic produce with "chemical-laced" farming. The > study concluded that there were no more than trace amounts of pesticide on > the chemically farmed produce (& that it could be removed by washing in > water) and that the organic produce often had dangerously high levels of > e-coli contamination that might not be removed by washing. > > There's still the consideration of what else might be happening to the > environment because of the products you choose. In Toronto, a sewage > pelletizing program was shut down. The product was expensive to produce, > difficult to use successfully, and dangerous to produce (the plant blew up). > Over the short term, any environmental benefit that users of the product may > have achieved was overshadowed by the terrific amount of air pollution from > the burning sewage & factory. > > The trick to using chemicals is to use only the products needed to solve > whatever problem you might be having, and to follow the directions exactly. > Don't use pesticides unless you have bug problems, don't treat for crabgrass > unless you have crabgrass, etc. The healthier you can get your lawn, the > less you'll have to put on it anyway. Healthy turf shades weed seeds & > outcompetes them for nutrients. Healthy turf can better withstand drought & > disease. > > > Hi folks, I just bought a new home last September and want to keep all > > sorts of chemicals off my lawn for health, environmental, and dog > > reasons. Can anyone recommend organic products that will help me keep > > the lawn happy and healthy? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Joanne > > > > > >
Reply to
sdb