Re: headache lawn

I live in NY. I redid my front lawn (20x20) two years ago with Scotts

> seeds. I'm guilty of not following a regiment to prevent weeds from > growing. Recently I wanted a fresh start so I applied Scotts > Summerguard (Insect protection and Fertilizer) and the results were > horrific. Part of my lawn was burnt and the part that is still good > started weeding even faster (clover+crabgrass). Scott already said > they will reimburse me for seeds+product because I did not misuse it. > Bottom line though, my lawn is in pretty bad shape and even worse, my > lawn is continuous with a neighbor, whose lawn is fine but I don't want > my problem to become his. I thought I would apply a weed control agent > after the summerguard application but I'm not sure if it is wise to > apply another "product" right after summerguard application. The burnt > spots I probably need to reseed but I'm not sure what I should do with > the all the weeds cropping next to my neighbor's side of the lawn. > Short of pulling weed by hand or redoing my lawn entirely... any other > suggestions?? And even if I have to pull the weeds out leaving bare > spots.. should I reseed the area immediately afterwards or just wait > until early fall to do any reseeding?? Thanks for any response. > > -- > quaspro > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > posted via
The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

That's a small area, kill the whole thing off with round up, the third week in August. Then spread an inch of good topsoil, and reseed, cover with a little straw or peat moss, stand back and watch it grow. You will be cutting it in three weeks.(keep moist)

Good luck.

Reply to
Moparholic

I would take this advice with a grain of salt.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

You may want to break down and bring in the pros for a season or two.

I haven't seen many lawns that weren't salvageable, but have to admit that there have been some.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

The very best time to apply fertilizer is in the fall. Second best is in late April using one that contains pre-emergent crabgrass control. I generally do not apply fertilizer in the summer as the combination of high temps, water and nitrogen can promote disease and fungus and there is the potential to burn. If the lawn is properly maintained it will do fine in summer without fertilizer.

Go get a 2 gal tank sprayer and a broadleaf weed killer like Weed B Gone. Spray the weeds, but not when the weather is expected to be real hot. I'd probably let the crabgrass go at this point. (Are you sure it's crabgrass? The crabgrass plants are still small to med size right now.) The retail products are not great at eliminating it. They take multiple applications and usually kill grass with it. The best product which does work is Aclaim, however it is not a retail product. Whatever crabgrass you have is yours and can only spread to the neighbor via seeds for next year.

What has your watering practice been? You should only water when it hasn't rained. The lawn should get 1" every 5-7 days, depending on temps and soil type. It's better to wait for the signs the lawn needs water rather than overwater. Shallow frequent watering is the worst.

Get your soil tested. In the fall, you can adjust the PH, fertilize and reseed where necessary. If the lawn is a real mess and has undesirable grasses growing, you will be better off killing it and reseeding. For full sun areas, I'd go with a tall fescue/blue grass mix, buying the best seed you can find.

Reply to
Chet Hayes