Question on my Ward's Signature TMO-3500006 42" Rider Mower

I have a battery problem. Seems it will never start the mower after sitting unused between mowings. I can give the battery a quick-charge and it will start the mower.

I measure just over 12V on the posts while the mower is running, but only about 10V after motor is off. The battery is less than a year old - and I bought it because the older battery did the same thing, and I figgered a new battery would solve the problem. It didn't.

I thought some told me that there should be an alternator on this beast that would charge the battery while mowing. Is that so? I sure cannot find it in my manual/diagrams. I thought maybe it needs replacing. Where would it be?

Anyone?

Reply to
geezer

In general the battery should show 12.6 volts if it is fully charged and has been sitting for a while. While the battery is charging with the motor running it should show between 13 and 14 volts, normally closer to 14 volts maybe more at high motor speeds. You may need to check your meter with your car to see if it is accurate. Showing 10 volts could be a shorted cell in the battery or a very weak one. It takes more than 12.6 volts with a running motor to charge a battery.

While most mowers will not have a seperate alternator like a car, it will have a charging system . Usually a coil of wire around the flywheel and magnets on the flywheel.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know my meter is accurate - I use it frequently on the car - golf car etc. The battery is one of those 'no' maintenance types, so I have no access to the cells. Since I do not get 13-14 volts with motor running, I have to assume no charge is occurring. Right now the battery is sitting disconnected. I want to see if there is a drain I don't know about.

I guess replacing the 'alternator' is not possible then.

Thank you for response.

Reply to
geezer

Could be...I had a car that the diode blew and even sititng the darn thing would drain the battery...

Reply to
Gene