Oil/gas mixture safe in newer mower...?

Hey, I used to use an old Lawnboy mower from around 88, and finally this year have a newer one, about five years old. The old one used an oil/gas mixture, but the newer one has separate spots for each. So my question is can I still use the oil/gas mixture in the new one, since there is still some left to be used? Thanks!

Reply to
Jack

No, do not use it. It will foul your spark plug right quick and may cause other issues as well.

I worked for this small compainy mowing grass and what not, when the owner asked me to stop at the rental store and pick up a brush hog for the day. I meet him at a job site where there was a 3 acre field that need to look like lawn at the end of it. He left me with a 2 gallon can of mixed fuel. He said that it was a rental and the mix fuel won't hurt the machine. After two tank fulls of mixed gas, the machine backfired, shot fire out the exhaust and lit the field on fire. Needless to say, I ran my but off to the truck and called the fire depo. I quit soon after.... ;0P

Reply to
Timothy

"Timothy" wrote

LOL. I know on the serious side, this isn't funny. But, you painted a funny scenario.

Reply to
Josh

Too funny a visual, Timothy. :)

Reply to
Steveo

LAUGHING OUT LOUD !!!!!

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Reply to
Jack

That makes me wonder where all the gasoline in the tanks of junked or totally wrecked vehicles ends up. Call a junkyard to ask if they'll tell you what becomes of all that gasoline. Maybe a friendly one would take it from you. Toxic waste dumps would likely charge too much for accepting the old gas. Phone your local recycling agency or municipal gov't to see what they recommend.

-- Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

Here (NY), mechanics shops are required to accept old oil, at no charge. I recently asked mine about lower unit oil from my outboard motor. He said "Doesn't matter - any petroleum products can be added to our waste container". Check with your mechanic.

Another option is to add a little at a time to your car's gas tank, BUT ONLY IF YOU'RE NEAR EMPTY AND ABOUT TO FILL THE TANK. I've heard this from multiple sources, and done it myself, without any problem. The only warning is that if you think your portable tank might be filthy on the inside for some reason, you don't want to add that gas to any motor.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"LAUGHING OUT LOUD !!!!! "

Yeah, we all spend thousands more now for cars so that they run clean to protect air quality. Then there are idiots like Doug that think it's OK to put some 2 cycle gas/oil in the tank. Maybe if he burns out the catalytic converter he'll wise up, but I doubt it.

Reply to
trader4

Idiot. 1 gallon of gasoline containing a few ounces of oil, mixed into a 15 or 20 gallon tank, once a blue moon, is NOT going to ruin the converter, or contribute anything meaningful in terms of pollution. If the guy's got many gallons of oil/gas mix, then he'd be wise to get rid of it a little at a time. But you knew that. You're really smart.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Idiot. 1 gallon of gasoline containing a few ounces of oil, mixed into a 15 or 20 gallon tank, once a blue moon, is NOT going to ruin the converter, or contribute anything meaningful in terms of pollution. If the guy's got many gallons of oil/gas mix, then he'd be wise to get rid of it a little at a time. But you knew that. You're really smart. "

You know the best part? Watching how your feeble mind works. Someone has a problem with a neighbors dog, you advocate poisoning it. Someone has a few gallons of left over 2 cycle fuel, you recommend putting into a car's gas tank where it will only add to pollution that we're all trying to eliminate. Both of these are classic examples of how your whacko mind operates. Everyone else would think of all kinds of reasonable solutions, yet you jump to the worst, and/or illegal ones. In the case of the left over 2 cycle fuel, it could simply be given to anyone who has two cycle lawn/garden eqptl, like a leaf blower. Ever hear of those, genius?

Maybe you should stick to giving advice on how to maintain lawns through benign neglect.

Reply to
trader4

OK, pusswad. Got enough baby oil to make it through the rest of your miserable day?

Reply to
Doug Kanter