Lawn mower starting problem.

Hi all,
I have a Flymo Lawnchief 400 that works fine, apart from the starting
pulley.
Basically I have to pull it really, really quick to get it to engage, it
seems that I would need to replace the whole top as the pulley mechanism
is built into it.
I've taken it off and the 2 'prongs' that engage do come out (obviously
or I wouldn't be able to start it) but not very freely, I have oiled etc
but this doesn't seem to have helped.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks for any/all help
Pete