Lawn Fertilization Schedule in Pacific Northwest

I'm entering my second year in the Pacific Northwest and, having spent last year figuring out the lawn's problem, I want to spend this year solving them. I've got several issues to deal with, including: crabgrass, moss, and poor drainage. I plan to apply some moss killer this spring, as well as some crabgrass killer. What I don't know is when I should apply them (and if I can apply them together).

Can someone help me by giving me a rough idea of when you do what to the lawn?

thanks.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

You may want to test your soil for at least PH, it could very well be acidic which encourages moss, and hampers turfgrass. If you find it sour, limestone is needed.

I doubt you'll be happy with the moss kill, if you have a soil problem.

Reply to
Steveo

I know that I've got acidic soil, at least according to the tester I used. I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend spreading limestone. I killed the moss last year (some rather large and eventually black patches) and it's really an on-gong problem in the PNW, from what I understand.

Thanks for the insight.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

Try handling one issue at a time, unless you want to spend some money for a professional to just design the whole thing and solve the problems. First things first, drainage. Poor drainage will effect everything including weed control. I suggest you design the correct drainage path and deal with the grass in mid-Fall or next Spring. Good luck. -Still working on my landscape.

Reply to
Jane