is trugreen chemlawn reputable or not?

live in florida. there is a local trugreen chemlawn in my area. they have a free analysis deal going. if they give me free analysis, am i gonna receive phone calls and mail from them asking me to use them to work on my lawn? I want to find out what's wrong with my lawn first, before i spend money on someone to work on my lawn.

Reply to
kilroybass

You'll never escape their sales reps after the "free analysis". Avoid them like the plaque.

Reply to
Steveo

anyone you can recommend? my local extension office doesn't send people to diagnose lawns. I'm not sure what heading to look for in yellow pages.

Reply to
kilroybass

I used to work for a small, locally owned outfit before they were gobbled up by trugreen/chemlaw/greenlawn and their techs are poorly trained and only out to get as much money as possible from the customer. Ever have grubs? Well according to them everyone does!

Reply to
Mike

Sorry, no recommendation for Florida. Do you have a Florida lawn care association down there? An organization like that might be able to steer you toward a local guy in your neighborhood.

Try looking under lawn maintenance in your yellow pages. That's what they are listed under up here in Ohio. Good luck.

Reply to
Steveo

At your extension service, ask for the Florida Yards and Neighborhoods (FYN) program assistant. FYN is now present in almost all Florida counties. FYN will send a yard advisor to your property, specifically to help with best environmental practices. The yard advisor will be a trained Master Gardener and should have the expertise to give advice on your turf problems. Even if, for some reason, there is no FYN program in your county, if you get the FYN Handbook -- available from either the Extension Service or from the Univ of FL IFAS website -- you should have enough information so that you can take care of your lawn yourself, without hiring Chemlawn.

In my experience, chemical lawn services uses a lot of water-soluble high nitrogen fertilizer sprays, which provide very quick greening but which in the longer run leach into the water table and also attract insect pests which attack the weak green growth -- of course, they then can offer insecticides to kill off the pests their previous treatment has attracted, further deleterious to the water table.

If you follow the FYN recommendations for fertilizers, mowing, watering, etc, you should have an attractive lawn at lower cost than if you just use a lawn service or advice from the local fertilizer / pesticide vendors. Regards --

Reply to
JimR

thanks. i will contact the fyn asap.

Reply to
kilroybass

Not us. We're running 70% slow release granular food right now. We'll drop that to 50% this fall.

Reply to
Steveo

I got someone from Scott's...they called a couple of times after that and I told them that we weren't ready to do the lawn this year and that we would contact them in the beginning of next year...haven't had a call since.

Reply to
Todd Lerfondler