How to get rid of weed in grass

I've tried many times to pluck out the weed from newly growing grass

--but after a while it keeps coming back and more. I would appriciate any suggestions.

Reply to
turkeyworld

Suggestions depend on what kind of grass it is and what kind of weed it is. For most turf grass you can buy selective herbicides that will kill broadleaf weeds and also some other weeds. For a typical lawn you just apply it with a 2 gallon tank sprayer right to the weed. Pulling the weeds is not only a pain, but to some extent counter-productive. When you pull the weeds you bring soil to the surface which is the perfect place for new weed seeds to get established.

Make sure you read the label. Most of these products can only be applied after the new grass is somewhat established, eg 3 mowings. I'd probably wait 2 months, unless the weed problem is so extensive it's going to prevent the grass from growing.

Reply to
trader4

A friend of mine had gave me and told me that the type of grass seeds he was giving to me to plant was the type that didn't need much attention and spread everywhere as it grows.

I didn't mind trying it being aggresive and less needed care. It's great to see that it has spread everywhere around the garden but near half is weed.

Your suggestion is easy to understand but under a large area and condition --I now feel that I should maybe just rip out the old and get a different one in.

Cheers,

Reply to
turkeyworld