How Much Lime to Add?

I live in Mass and recently had my soil tested at a pH of 5.1. I had spread lime in the Spring but apparently it wasn't enough. How much should I add and when is the best time to apply it.

Note: I would at some point this season like to fertilize and overssed areas of the lawn.

Reply to
rw

50 lbs per 1000 sg ft. You can do it now.
Reply to
Steveo

Did you use "Lime" from a big box store? If so, I'll bet use really used pelletized limestone. Limestone is not very reactive -- we use it for statues, buildings and pyramids. Try using hydrated lime from a tile supply store. Avoid anhydrous lime as it will "burn" you and your lawn unless done very carefully.

Reply to
Stubby

How much did you apply in Spring? Usual maximum at any one time is 50 lbs per 1,000 sq ft. My pH was similar to yours, in the 5.2 - 5.4 range between the front and back yards. I put down about 40 lbs/1000 sq ft in the spring and I plan to put some 50 lbs/1000 again this fall. You have to add a good amount to have it raise it from 5.1 to say 6.

From what I understand, you have to get the lime into the soil, so for best results either you do it when you dethatch/aerate, or you have to work it into the soil when you amend it.

Lime application should help since it will raise the pH to a level good for the grass and poorer for weeds. I overseeded the same day as I added lime.

-- Himanshu

Reply to
Himanshu

"Lime application should help since it will raise the pH to a level good for the grass and poorer for weeds. I overseeded the same day as I added lime. "

Most weeds and turf grasses thrive in the same range of PH.

Reply to
trader4

I probably only added about 20 - 25 lbs per 1000 sq ft. At the time I didn't know the pH, but based on the previous owners I knew I need to add lime (was worried about burning the lawn).

I plan to aerate, overseed, and of course add lime in the early fall. Good to know I can do it all on the same day/weekend.

Appreciate the response. Thanks.

Reply to
rw

your county extension office can tell you.

Reply to
ds549