How much of what to add to sawdust

I've obtained a bunch of softwood sawdust that I'd like to use as a mulch. Apparently this will deplete nitrogen. What do I have to add, and in what amounts, to prevent nitrogen depletion (and any other unwanted effects)?

Thank you

Reply to
Shirley Bollinger

Allow the sawdust to age, uncovered, outdoors for at least 9-10 months. You could sprinkle 34-0-0 over the mound before the aging process. I use old sawdust for my blueberry plants.

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't worry about nitrogen depletion unless you till the sawdust in. Better used if the sawdust is aged a bit and doesn't still have a resiny smell.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Depends on what you are using it to mulch. The nitrogen depletion occurs only at the top layer of the soil, so woody plants (trees and shrubs) tend to be less affected by nitrogen depletion than do perennials and annuals. To be on the safe side, scratch in some alfalfa or blood meal before you mulch and you should be fine.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Does it not attract Termites, say if up next to the home?

Kate

| > Thank you | | Depends on what you are using it to mulch. The nitrogen depletion occurs | only at the top layer of the soil, so woody plants (trees and shrubs) tend | to be less affected by nitrogen depletion than do perennials and annuals. To | be on the safe side, scratch in some alfalfa or blood meal before you mulch | and you should be fine. | | pam - gardengal | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thank you for your replies. I'll let the sawdust age. Hadn't thought of that.

Shirley Boll> I've obtained a bunch of softwood sawdust that I'd like to use as a

Reply to
Gualtier Malde (Chuck)