How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff?

You apparently are so stupid that you can't or won't read. The very first post in this thread I said this:

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a selective herbicide.

How in the hell could anyone but a complete moron interpret that to mean that I recommended killing everything and replacing shrubs. Are you really that stupid?

Again, how you know perfectly well I never said any such thing. The exact quote is above, read it and learn. To make a point, I only said that in general, herbicides that kill virtually all vegetation are more effective than selective ones that have to leave plants, like lawn grass, standing. And that Roundup works against ivy, poison or otherwise, is cheap, and a good solution. If the OP has some Roundup in the garage, or can get it for less than another alternative, should she run out and buy something else, just because you happen to say so? Monsanto says Roundup works on ivy. I've used it myself and it works.

Yeah nice avoidance of the fact that Roundup will kill crabgrass and anything else a lot better than the selective herbicide. BTW, I'm not gonna take the bait and start another discussion with a moron about how to kill mature crabgrass.

You really are either a total moron or a liar. Show me where I ever said that "If I got clover, I just kill the whole area." I never said any such thing. What I said was a total vegetation killer, if sprayed on the clover or crabgrass in turf would quickly kill the clover and crabgrass as well as the grass. While a selective herbicide that will leave the grass alive, makes it harder to kill the clover/crabgrass, because it's less effective. That's one of the tradeoffs with selective herbicides. Got it now, or must I repeat it again?

Liar

And it don;t matter moron, because apparently she has desirable plants, not turf, around what she is trying to kill. Which is why the application will be exactly the same whatever she uses to kill it.

Oh, and another thing. You accused me of being lazy claiming that I spray Roundup around, killing desirable plants to get at weeds, which is a total fabrication Well, that's another good inisight into your knowledge and experince ain't it? You obviously think it's easier to kill desirable vegetation, like turf, or in the OPs case other plants, shrubs, etc and then replant and regrow things. Doing that ain't lazy, it's stupid, because it's more cost and far more work.

And here;s more insight to your expertise:

"Cut them back to a few inches from the ground, and then paint them with a half-strength solution of triclopyr."

Anyone with experience with these chemicals knows that half-strength makes no sense. Half of what? You can buy triclopyr in all kinds of concentrations. So half strength of what, genius?

Now get the f*ck out of here, OK. All the OP has is some ivy, which she can kill with triclopyr, Roundup, or a dozen other products. This is a simple thing, people do it every day, and you have no lock on the only solution.

Reply to
trader4

major snippage.

24D may kill it like a big dog. Have you tried a three way selective herbicide on it yet?
Reply to
Steveo

My son just came over. I've been kicking this dialog around, well it got a little ugly but I'll try to stay out of that as I'm a newbie here anyway. He's got Roundup and a sprayer. Now the only thing I'm worried about is I will try to cover existing plants, there aren't a whole lot to worry about right now, but he says it kills everything for a year. Does that mean I can't plant new things where it has been sprayed and scatter wildflower seeds in the fall and things won't grow for a year or just the sprayed broadleaf vegetation won't grow for a year?

Reply to
I Love Lucy