Getting grass to grow on new lot

Hi all, I just bought a 5 acre lot in the Columbus ohio area. Right now the ground is covered with weeds and I was wondering the best way to get some nice grass to grow. Any thoughts are appreciated

thx, dm

Reply to
dnmccoy

Hi dnmccoy, 5 acre's ay? That's a big area to seed at one time, is it graded already or is it still rough?

Reply to
Steveo

Its rough but it dosnt have much of a roll to it. Its pretty flat except for one corner which is maybe 6-9" higher

Reply to
dnmccoy

I suggest you look into a roundup application followed by having someone rock-hound and grade your soil. After that you'll need at least 350 lbs of a good seed blend and tons of straw.

Now is the time to get busy..Fall is perfect for doing that.

Reply to
Steveo

Addendum ^^^ that's per acre.

Reply to
Steveo

Wow, don't you still need to water twice daily after the seed and straw is spread. Might want to get a means setup for irrigation in place as well.

later,

tom

****************
*************** Our Newest Site:
(Medical Staffing) ***********************************************************
Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

It wouldn't hurt but irrigating 220,000 sg ft is real tough. If there is -one- month to get away without having to put down water it would be September here in Ohio. He better be doing the roundup RIGHT NOW.

Reply to
Steveo

So youd just recomend using the roundup to kill the weeds then seed during sept?

Reply to
dnmccoy

Yes! Do the rounup ASAP on a day with no rain. Do you have the means to treat 5 acres with a liquid application?

Reply to
Steveo

no Id just be using a sprayer. Im not sure Ill be doing the whole lot yet, I may be putting a pond in:)

Reply to
dnmccoy

Im just going to use a sprayer. I might not do all 5 acres, as I may be putting a pond in:)

Reply to
dnmccoy

Hello, if you want a fast stand use some urea it is pure nitrogen . I would say about 30 # per acre . just my 2 cents but it wouldn't hurt to do a soil sample to see if it is starved for nutrients.

Reply to
GARAGE OWL

Was there a lawn there at one time? If so then just wackin' the weeds may be enough to create a lawn again.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H