Crabgrass in newly sodded Zoysia

Several areas on my newly sodded (one month ago) zoysia lawn have serious crabgrass infestations. It appears as if the sod farm missed a few areas with crabgrass preventer.

I think it is too soon to spray the area with MSMA or another post-emergent herbicide.

My thoughts are to apply the herbicide selectively using a sponge just to wipe it on the crabgrass which stands taller than the zoysia. This should minimize the amouth of herbicide that gets on the zoysia.

Any better ideas?

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Hi Kyle; To my understanding zoysia will not grow north of the Mackinac Bridge that seperates upper and lower Michigan. I have talked to experts and they informed me of than. I tried to grow it in Northern Michigan and it does not grow.

Reply to
Dick

Since I live in Atlanta, that shouldn't be a problem. ;-)

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I'd check out Acclaim. It's very effective on crabgrass and it's one of the post-emergents that causes the least amount of injury to the turf. It should be no problem if used to spot treat zoysia sod that's been down a month. Certainly a lot easier using Acclaim with a sprayer than trying to use a sponge, which is hard for any serious area.

Reply to
trader4

Believe it or not, I spoke with the sod farm on Monday, and they are sending me a small quantity of Acclaim at no charge. I thought that was pretty good service...

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

"Believe it or not, I spoke with the sod farm on Monday, and they are sending me a small quantity of Acclaim at no charge. I thought that was pretty good service... "

Excellent. Let us know how it works for you.

Reply to
trader4