Copper Sulfate To Kill Roots In A Drain?

I removed a few soup cans full of small roots from my main drain with a power auger (snake). I have no way of knowing how far in the line these were growing but I suspect it was the toward the end. The unfortunate thing is, the auger was 100' long but the line is probably 125'; there may be more beyond but the water is flowing well now.

I was introduced to copper sulfate as a possible remedy. I'm skeptical. The container claims it kills roots and is to be used while there is still flow but I wonder just how effectively it does kill roots. Instructions call for anywhere from 2 to 5 pounds to be flushed down a commode twice a year.

Will someone with some understanding of how copper sulfate really reacts with small roots in a drain please comment.

Reply to
jaygreg

Fortunately I have never had to deal with the issue. You may want to check out this article though.

Luck!

jaygreg wrote:

Reply to
Growers Information

I like the concept. It makes sense. And it's an oportunity for me to rent more tools and putz around like a contractor. Thanks! I've got confidense inthis solution... provided I can be accurate in locaating the pipe.

Reply to
jaygreg

Check this out:

-- SHG

Reply to
SHG

to make it "easier" to view the pics, by changing the number each time. There's an even easier way. ;)

will automatically launch a slideshow in the browser window.

That being said, it was a great read, and your tenacity and ingenuity is amazing. I'm sure you have other stories to tell, and hope you'll be willing to share. This place needs more good-advice-givers. =)

Once a year, I have to have my line snaked out. The blockage is always, and I mean every time, exactly 104' out. This is very close to the main sewer, at an easement, and there are several large trees and shrubs in the immediate area. The culpret is probably impossible to narrow down, or it would be removed post-haste. Oh, how I wish I could identify the sweetgum as the offender. Oh, how I wish. >=)

Your method would probably be more difficult in my situation, but for someone who's blockage is closer to the building, it seems the perfect solution. The auger used by my plumber is the same size as the pipe, so once he clears it, it's clear. At least for a year, anyway. I'm leaning towards copper sulfate, but it hasn't come to that, yet. Perhaps a little would point to the problem flora, but it goes against my nature to poison plants, just to see what happens. For now, it will remain a yearly "fee", to the plumber.

Cheers, HAND

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I'm an unskilled novice, but still I was wondering, If you know the exact point of the problem (104') why not dig around the pipe that distance out from the house? See what is getting into the pipe and put some kind of barrier up.

Looking in on the problem, which is much different then having it I realize, I think I'd rather fix it then to have my pipes plumbed yearly. But, I'm just commenting, not passing judgment.

Reply to
Ron Cliiborn

It's right at a utility easement, and quite near where my pipe connects to the main sewer line. Near the end of the summer, the neighbors two houses up the street had their line backup. First time for them, in a long time, they said. It took two days to find the problem, using cameras and such. The local Sewer District was doing the work, so I'm guessing there may be a problem with the main line, in that area. For now, I'm just taking a wait-and-see attitude with it. Mine was cleared about a month and a half ago, so I'm good for a while. If they find out it's in the city's jurisdiction, they'll fix it. It's a small town, but there's a lot of money here. Most utility-related problems get taken care of, right away. And, I don't have to dig down in the clay. =)

No problem. I know what you're saying, and have considered it (as recently as up until the neighbor's problem). I just dig enough large holes at work. That, and too many other projects I'm trying to finish around here.... Well, you know. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion,

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly