Collect clippings when mowing if weeds present?

I'm in the north-east US, and I'm trying to revive a lawn that wasn't taken of last year. In spring I overseeded with Scott's Pure Premium (Sunny area mix - Fescue/Bluegrass/Ryegrass) seeds and the lawn is green now, but there are weeds. Since I had seeded I have not use any weedkiller on the lawn this year.

Dandelions are almost all gone (I kept digging them out by their roots as I saw them), but right now there are two or three types of weeds that I haven't controlled - one is clover (white flowers are abundant), and the others I'm not sure what they are.

When mowing, my preference is to mulch, and I have been doing that. My question is if there are so many weeds in the lawn, is it a bad idea to mulch? Should I collect clippings instead of mulching?

Thanks.

-- Himanshu

Reply to
Himanshu

Go ahead and mulch. The soil is full of weed seeds already. Some (likely under-ripe) clover seeds going down to join them won't matter in the long run. Closing in the grass canopy and preventing them from sprouting is the long-term solution.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Mulching is best and saves on fertilizer. As far as weeds gone to seed, most are either not ripe enough to grow or can be controlled with a pre-emergent next spring.

Personally, I wouldn't try to eliminate the clover. Althought it fits the broad definition of a weed, "a plant growing where you don't want it," many find it desirable. It has the ability to pull nitrogen from the atmosphere down to the soil where it can be used -- again, less fertilizing.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O