Latest threads in HVAC Discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

"Smart" furnace control add-ons? Any direct experience?
I'm looking at a couple of these "add-on" controllers - such as the Beckett HeatManager ( or the IntelliCon - HW (http: - getting ready for my 600 gal burn (data from last winter). 10% at $4.70/gal...
4
4

Purely-Radiant Cooling
Hi: I thinking of a cooling mechanism for houses and building in which the cooling -- in the direct sense -- involves only radiation and no convection at all. Sorta like a radiant-stove-top in...
16
16

Story time... Roofer says... "I can cap your chimney"
Ok, we start with a guy who is a roofer. He is hired to re-shingle a residential home. The owner asks if he can remove the brick chimney and run a normal furnace pipe through the roof. The roofer says...
3
3

Big Boy tech tip
If anyone here works on any Big Boy restaurants I have a good tip for concerning the pie cases that sit next to the cash register. If no one works on them I wont waste my time.

Coil Cleaning Wisdom
In other words... you had to actually *try* and work???
3
3

Coil cleaner reccomendations
You mean it didn't drop the compressor draw by 1 amp.... oh no!
13
13

Furnace vent question ...
All, My home has a high efficiency forced air furnace, with combusion air and exhaust through two PVC pipes (about 15' runs). While at the heated pool in our neighborhood, I noted that the pool heater...
7
7

Pumps: Upstream of chillers / downstream of boilers
At least this is what I've heard and tend to see in the field. But why? Thanks.

Hermatic vs Scroll
I just picked up some new old stock Lieberts (1984 and 1990). Back then Liebert used 3-PH Hermatic Compressors on their 30k-70k BTU size units. On the newer units I have, they use Scroll compressors....
10
10

Book of Furnace Heat Exchanger Failure
Has anyone ever heard of this manual or book? Another tech from another company asked one of my mechanics and showed him the manual. Thanks JB
1
1

Beckett CB151UL Condensate Pump
Hi, I am trying to trouble shoot a Beckett CB151UL condensate pump. I found a pool of water next to my furnace and I suspect it is from the condensate pump. The water level in the reservoir was fairly...
33
33

Importance of matching evaporator to condenser?
Hi all - I've scanned the newsgroup postings and still haven't found a definitive answer to my question. We have an old (1930's vintage) building with an existing hydronic heating system that we want...
2
2

HVAC ball park cost estimates for retirement planning
am doing some retirement planning. I want to estimate the cost and lifetime of my HVAC system. I have central gas heat and ac. The is 2 story and about 2300 feet. The house was built in 1991. Also, I...
3
3

Trane fan "On" for outside air?
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside...
50
50

AC Compressor Shuts Off Periodically
I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice on a problem I've been having with my Rudd Achiever 10 SEER AC unit. Problem may have started a couple of weeks ago when it wasn't cooling. So, I...
14
14