"Smart" furnace control add-ons? Any direct experience?

I'm looking at a couple of these "add-on" controllers - such as the Beckett HeatManager

or the IntelliCon - HW (http:intellidynellc.com) - getting ready for my 600 gal burn (data from last winter). 10% at $4.70/gal would save me nearly $300 - cost of unit in one season!

Does anyone have any direct experience? Actual cost of unit and actual savings?

They claim to save 10-20% on fuel consumption - one supplier even guarantees a "buy back" if you don't save at least 10%.

The basic theory seems to be that the units "hold off" a call for heat based on the heat load (as determined by rate of cooling), thus capturing residual heat stored in the boiler/system before allowing the burner to fire. Call for a firing by the Aquastat for domestic hot water (tankless system) put the units in bypass mode.

The web sites have lots of glossy brochures, and slick testimonials, but I'm looking for real user experience.

Thanks for info!

Grov

Reply to
Grover

Manythanks! That's just the kind of info I am looking for!

Grov

Reply to
Grover

Are you going to buy one of those gas saving gizmos for your car too? The PT Barnum axium applies here. idiot.

Reply to
that manin dude

There are no free lunchs and no perpetual motion machines.

Reply to
Don Ocean

F-tank had written this in response to

:

I have > I'm looking at a couple of these "add-on" controllers - such > as the

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 25063 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
F-tank