When to turn water off to humidifier?

I have a General humidifer on a newly installed furnace. (It probably goes without saying that it contains a vertically oriented metal screen) I've had problems with it getting musty-smelling and consequently causing me to have allergy symptoms.

I've noticed that the water valve turns off only when the furnace fan turns off. Shouldn't the water turn off when the gas valve turns off, so that the when the fan runs for a couple more minutes the humidifier screen gets a chance to dry out? Most furnaces do this on the A/C setting.

Reply to
hondgm

Yes, it certainly should. So, call your furnace guy and ask for that to be rewired. It's not dificult.

Be sure to also ask if the screen should have been installed horizontal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote

Replace the evaporative pad annually.

Nope.

Yup.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

No it shouldn't turn off when the gas does, and yes it should run for a few minutes to dry it out? Then when is the water supposed to turn off? The fan already runs for a minute or two after the burners turn off, wouldn't that be a good time to turn the water off, too?

I've had the humidifier for about 6 months and had to clean it twice, so annually wouldn't be anywhere often enough at this rate.

Reply to
hondgm

Do you have an automatic humidity control? Do you have a standard humidity control that you have to adjust manually?

Or is it wired directly with no humidity control?

Normal

No

Sounds like your humidity level is too high for the conditions.

Reply to
<kjpro

I have a standard humidity control. It does not account for outside temperature. I do adjust it based on outside temp.

But I don&#39;t understand why it matters how high I have the humidity set. The allergy problems are coming from the mesh screen, because when I remove it, the symptoms go away very quickly. And the screen smells musty, and the air discharge no longer smells, either. Regardless of where I have the humidity set, I still have a wet mesh screen, in a warm, dark area. Seems to me that the humidity setting has little to do with this.

Reply to
hondgm

So what&#39;s the humidity level in your house?

Reply to
<kjpro

Get bobby to tighten that fan belt....HAHAHAHA

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

DANgER (danger Get bobby to tighten that fan belt....HAHAHAHA

Yup. That&#39;s right, Dangerous. I ask questions about belts and pulleys. You jumper safety switches. Then you jumper dead relays. We&#39;ll let the public decide who they want fixing their furnaces. Hey, Dangerous, the weekends here. Don&#39;t forget to load up on duct tape and jumper wires for all your repairs!

HAHA HEHE BWAHAHA LOLOLO HAHAHOHO

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Weekend is here alright... that&#39;s why he can post...

...as he doesn&#39;t have internet access in his &#39;box&#39; that he calls home...

...he has to wait to be incarcerated to get the benefits of the web.

LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

HAHAHA it doesn&#39;t surprise me bobby, that you still don&#39;t understand how a g26 and it&#39;s relays function.

HAHAHA

I won&#39;t even bother explaiing it again, if the last 9 times didn&#39;t help you out.

HAHA

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

"Weekend is here alright... that&#39;s why he can post...

..as he doesn&#39;t have internet access in his &#39;box&#39; that he calls home...

..he has to wait to be incarcerated to get the benefits of the web.

LOL "

HAHAHA bobby you want to compare lives now? I don&#39;t come here every day to bellitle homeowners who ask for help. I have a life thanks.

It obvious those of you who don&#39;t.

HAHA

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

"DANgER" "Weekend is here alright... that&#39;s why he can post...

Sorry, people already know how to JUMP things out... lol

Reply to
<kjpro

"DANgER" HAHAHA it doesn&#39;t surprise me bobby, that you still don&#39;t understand how a g26 and it&#39;s

Go away.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

I don&#39;t have a hygrometer, so I don&#39;t know. I&#39;m going to try connecting the water valve to the thermostat so it turns off early.

Reply to
hondgm

On 10 Mar 2007 01:11:13 GMT, DANgER (danger"Weekend is here alright... that&#39;s why he can post...

DANgER, you wouldnt know a "Life" if it jumped up out of a g26 and bit you in the ass. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Yeah, that&#39;s the thing to do...

Go messing with something you know very little about BEFORE you know all the facts.

I was trying to help your ass...

Reply to
<kjpro

I recommend you take up a hobby like growing african violets indoors under florescent lighting. Actually the more indoor plants you have the better. The indoor air will be fresher and more humid, and you&#39;ll have winter time flowers to enjoy.

Reply to
gofish

And I wasn&#39;t refusing. So talk.

Besides, what do you think I&#39;m going to do, break it? I design electronics and repair my car or TV when it needs it, so I understand electricity and that&#39;s exactly what is involved here. I&#39;m not messing with the burners or airflow, I&#39;m turning off the &#39;friggen water to the humidifier. Big deal.

Reply to
hondgm

Then get me your humidity level...

What&#39;s that, you don&#39;t have a hygrometer, so GET ONE!!!!!!

Hey, I don&#39;t have a crystal ball in order to know your background.

MUST people that screw around with the low voltage control wiring, usually end up needed a new control transformer. LOL

But on a more serious note, why would you rewire the system, BEFORE you get the needed facts in order to PROPERLY diagnose your problem?

Reply to
<kjpro