What inputs cause auxiliary heat instead of just heat pump

Hi all, I picked this up on another group. The guy is trying to time his home heating to correspond to the power companies times of low tier pricing.
He says, "The problem I have is the heat pump not ramping up the temperature fast enough when it comes back on and the backup straight electric heat comes on." What causes the electric heat to come on? Is it a run time length thing? Is it in the thermostat or the furnace?
Thank, Mikek
On 1/12/2020 10:35 AM, amdx wrote:

Does this thermostat have a timer that says, if the heat pump has been producing heat for X amount of time turn on the aux heat?

Mikek