Too Hot Upstairs!

hi, any recommendations on how to better balance the temperature in my two story house? basically when it's 75 deg down stairs, it's about 85 up stairs. i'm sure this is common, but is there anything i can do to make the whole house the same comfortable temperature?

i thought maybe partially closing the downstairs vents so more a/c is forced upstairs?

also, our basement is only about 65 deg in the summer, couldn't you install some type of exhaust fan in the ductwork (runs through the basement) that would pull that cool basement air upstairs by pulling it through the ducts? help!

thanks much

Reply to
batesrt

Real easy... 2 zones... one upstairs, and one downstairs.... No its not gonna be cheap.

Reply to
Noon-Air

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1153249320.453680.43230 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You could always turn the thermostat down so it's 65 on the main floor and

75 upstairs....that'll be $95 please....
Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Send yuor old lady up there. Mine is so frigid that she cools it down in 30 minutes.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

A new digital programmable setback thermostat and a box of reverse flow duct boosters. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Power Roof Vent......lower temp 5-9° on 2nd flr

Reply to
daytona

Or, How about a balance damper? Hmmmm... That will be $95 please.

Reply to
oløenneker

I have told you ones before close all vents on the first floor with exception of return air and open all went on second floor with exception of return air I have stated before as diverting air from down stairs up stairs this will help you balance cooling. Now if you using same duct works for winter you will need reverse procedure.this is as basic I can gave you, however some body ales can gave you their version to remedy your current problem Good luck from DIDO

Dido

When your a/c cycles off the warm air just rises. So fixing any air leaks to the basement and other unconditioned places would be better unless you want hvac in the basement.

If your thermostat has a "fan" switch try turning it "on." It should make a big difference. But the correct way is to have a system for each floor in a home.

BTW:) Closing vents in unoccupied rooms is ok to a point. You just want to redirect the air and don't want to reduce the total CFM of your a/c.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

"Dido" wrote in what some suspect to be a drug-induced haze....

Ya, that way most of the cooler air from the first floor will get sucked back to the A coil,... OK continue Dido....

And that way all of the hottest air in house, that has miraculously risen to the second floor, will remain there...brilliant advice, Dido!!!

Ya, you're gonna need it!!

Respectfully, Bob

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Reply to
Bubba

Here in the US we run a very long duct to Australia with a reversible fan. Blows in winter and sucks in summer.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

"Dear Bob_Loblaw" You are so dumb that it is a shame you do not get patent on it You would make millions. Gentleman complain was "plenty cold on first floor not enough on the second floor" If you divert cold air upstairs it is naturally that cold air will go down to first floor by stairway opening unless stairway is outside that leads from one floor to the other in your case? since the air handler or return air to evaporator is on first floor or in basement it is require minimum of air supply or discharge there unless in you opinion The cold air rises and hot going down? I guess with your mentality that would be just about right

Get you self another job young man you don't fit for HVAC! DIDO

Dido

Reply to
Bubba

It comes easer then you may think however I will not dwell on it one way or the other DIDO

Reply to
Dido

"Dido" wrote in news:%B5Cg.8579$7m5.1696@trnddc05:

I HAVE made millions, but not by being dumb,...anyway, let's continue, shall we?...

Very good, Dido. Hot air rises, cold air sinks...go to the front of the class! The rest of the HVAC group can skip the remainder of this post, because I'm sure you'll find it somewhat elementary. For that matter, anyone who has been in the field for more than 15 minutes can probably skip it too....

This is absolutely priceless! Let's break down this last observation of yours.

The air handler and the return air are two different components of the system....next....

No it doesn't, oh confused one! The air handler requires 400 CFM per ton of cooling.

Hot air rises, remember Dido?? You told him to close the return air grill on the upper floor, remember?? You also told him to open the return air grill on the main floor. Remember?? You cool a room by doing two things, Dido. One, you must introduce cooler air into the room, but just as important, Dido, and I'll wait while you get a pen so you can write this down, or maybe get someone to write it down for you..... you must also REMOVE the hot air from that same room. How do you do this, you ask, my Epsilon Minus friend? You do this by having an OPEN return air duct in that room! I know you probably have a headache by now, so take an aspirin, go lie down for a while, and try to digest what I have just told you.

You need to run, don't walk, to your nearest community college and sign up for an A/C course. Another way for you to learn the trade is to shut the f*ck up and read, instead of trying to answer questions about that which you know very little about!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

You wish

but not by being dumb,...anyway, let's continue,

Appranetly you need to be remine about it

of this post, because

No kiding

If I did say that then I Apologize to you and rest of group But if I did not say that Then or you man enough to apologize to me? If I recall it correctly I said divert supply air to second floor close supply went on the first floor and close return air on second floor This is what I said and what I meant and still do. now you change it as you like I will not dwell on it Thank you DIDO

Reply to
Dido

"Dido" wrote

Then you're still an idiot. Why would you tell him to CLOSE THE RETURN AIR ON THE SECOND FLOOR??????? HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO REMOVE THE HOT AIR THAT IS STUCK UP THERE????? YOU ARE A SPECIAL BRAND OF STUPID!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

He thinks that the heavier cool air being pumped up there will push the lighter hot air down the stairs to the open return down there.

Fucking idiot...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

"Oscar_Lives" wrote