My White Rogers programmable thermostat died yesterday. My wife came
home and found the house "very cold" so she turned the system off.
When I looked at the thermostat I found the LCD panel was backlit but
wasn't displaying anything so I swapped it out for the old
mercury-switch thermostat, which I had saved.
In the process, I shorted a couple of wires together. I saw a spark
and now there is no voltage between the red and blue (common) wires.
None of my circuit breakers appear to be tripped but two adjacent
breakers are linked and labled A/C so I toggled them anyway, which did
not help. Are these two linked breakers likely just for the
compressor or for the air handler also?
I traced the thermostat cable up to the attic where they go into a
side panel of the air handler cabinet (Goodman ARUF). I presume that
the low-voltage transformer is inside, right? Are these transformers
typically fused? If so, can you tell me where it is?