so who here is epa section 608 phase I,II or III certified????

I know I am not, but I was wonder who was and how hard the tests were...

thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bob in Phx

BS tests. Get the 'Universal'.

Read the study guide.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I am not sure what you mean by universal, can you provide a link??? or some other information?

Reply to
Bob in Phx

I got a section 609 card some years ago, it was pretty easy. You pay $19, I think, take an OPEN-BOOK multiple choice exam where you can refer back to the online text to find the answers, and when you get enough right, you enter some info and they mail you the certificate and wallet card. I think there were 50 questions. If you didn't know one off the top of your head, it did take a little time to search through the text to find it. Procedures may have changed, I did this 13 years ago.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

They dropped question # 37. There are only 49 now.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Just a curious home owner. The initial spark was that there was a debate about online goodman sales and the fine print in the warranty. I read up at the goodman sight and the only requirement for an installer, at least as far as I could see, was an epa 608 certification. which would make sense. Now, before anyone goes nuts, I do not want to install my own ac system. That's what the pro's are for.

Reply to
Bob in Phx

Jon, thanks for the info. Its interesting that a person could get a type I (systems under 5 pounds of refrigerant) via the open book test, but the type II (large systems) and type III (larger /largest systems) required a proctored test...

aga>> I know I am not, but I was wonder who was and how hard the tests were... >>

Reply to
Bob in Phx

Jon, thanks for the info. Its interesting that a person could get a type I (systems under 5 pounds of refrigerant) via the open book test, but the = type II (large systems) and type III (larger /largest systems) required a proctored test...

again, just a curious homeowner....

HVAC work is so simple even a caveman could do it.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Since your so curious, how about doing a little home work on recovery machines, recovery cans, refrigerant reclaiming and recycling, as well as the proper methods of charging systems per the diferent types of metering devices.

Its not rocket science, its more complicated than that.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Bob in Phx

At the time I did it, I am pretty sure I could have gotten any one of them, I chose the 609 because I wanted to be able to get R12 for my cars. I never actually needed to get any more, I still have a couple cans sitting around, and no cars with R12 anymore. I do have a couple small refrigeration systems left with R12, though. I have enough R22 to probably last to the end of the home central air system, too - its only

35 years old.

The green card did let me buy a run capacitor for my AC at the local "closed shop" refrigeration supply place for under $10, I was expecting it to cost a LOT more.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

replying to Steve, skibernie wrote: Oh please - this, like everything only requires a modicum of effort and some study. I can guarantee you this is no more difficult than most systems and most anyone (with study and/or training) can understand how to service an HVAC system. The only problem is the Section 608 universal certification, not the test itself but finding a location to take the test after study. I'm tired of pros always saying you need pros to do the job, when they are really there for convenience as most homeowners are not interested in mechanical systems enough to study and will gladly pay someone to do the service for them. The most difficult hurdle for the interested homeowner is finding a location to take the section 608 universal certification - difficult but not impossible.

Reply to
skibernie

You are replying to a 17 yo thread. Most of these people are dead now,

Reply to
mikiloving

My reader shows it sent yesterday not 17 years ago. Also the vo-techs around here give the tests. No problem, just pay fee and take test.

Reply to
John

Look again, the thread started in 2011, 7 years ago.

Reply to
catalpa