Salvage or Save old RHEEM Combo unit

-------------------------------------

The house I bought 2yrs ago came with a Rheem gas heat/ac combo unit sitting uninstalled on a concrete pad behind a detached shop. The previous owner worked for a builder and got it from subdivison builders office that was closed, but never got around to having it installed. The unit ran 2yrs, from 1993 to 1995 and has been sitting outside since. My HVAC guy looked at it when I moved in, said he would hook it up, if I stuck it thru the wall and ran the ducts. He didn't act to excited, but didn't say it was junk. He said it was sized for appx. 1800sqft. We didn't talk cost, but I wasn't encourged.

The shop is 700sqft, has 220v, 110v and gas. A 19000btu unit heater is on the ceiling, but doesn't get the job done. This last week temps were in the the 100s for 10 days here, making me want that A/C. I got to wondering if I would be better off scrapping the RHEEM and unit heater at the metal recyclers in favor and 220v thru wall Combo unit. I have seen them around $500-700. What could I expect to get if I scrap it out for the metal? Or should I try to sell it? If I kept it, I would have to run the duct up the wall inside the shop right where a car can hit it while pulling in and the concrete pad isn't sized for building an exterior duct system. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 25571 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Enduro60

Used HVAC equipment, I've never found any buyers. Except the rare church mice "poor as a church mouse" friends of friends. The salvage yard pay out would be far less than the other equipment.

If your HVAC guy is willing to install it, sounds like the way to go.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon