Running a 1/4 hp 220 VAC condenser fan motor on 110 VAC

Besides being extremely inefficient, as Dimwit described (heat instead of rotating force)... if the thing is moving any air at all it will be overloaded more than 200 percent.

Where does 200% come from?

What does "200% overloading" mean with respect to temperatre gain?

What will be the rotational speed and what will the back EMF (impedence) be as result from half voltage?

Reply to
stu

how fast will your car go up a big hill if you take out half the spark plugs? how big is the hill? You are also posting Jake's valid statements as my words.

why continue any further? do what you want.

I admit I am a fraud. I am a circus clown who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and thought I could spew some idiotic nonsense, but you win! you exposed me for what I am. Now go away and let me wallow in my misery. You can now rest easy and cool with your experiment.

Boo Hoo, f*ck you

Reply to
DIMwit

So, just exactly what class are you taking and where are you taking it?? Do they know that your trying to get the folks on this NG to do your homework for you??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Hey, at least you got the cinnamon rolls!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

You guys are something.

Ask a factual question and your ignore it.

Attack, attack, but no factual data, explanation, or experience. None!.

Is this the way that you live your life, in darkness and anger?

State a figure, 200% and the world is expecterd to accept it?

Where did you get it, out of your ass?

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I could have farted.

Homework? You probably never did any.

Reply to
stu

If you wanted to listen to an asshole, you would not have far to go, methinks. very short distance

Reply to
DIMwit

Stu pid posted for all of us...

Reply to
Tekkie®

I did enough homework to know the difference between a DC motor and an AC PSC motor. If what your trying to feed us would actually work, I would only have to carry ONE size/type motor on my truck instead of the 5 that I *DO* carry. After you let the factory smoke out of a few motors, then come back and we'll chat.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Great! That is not the point. Your motors are each used for a specific application.

You have not addressed the question, "can you use any one of your 5

220 AC motors at 110 VAC and will it start and run without burning up?

Take a fan from a pulled compresser and try it for a few hours.

The main difference between a dc and an ac motor that controls the current is the back EMF. I call it the 'bucking' voltage because it is just like using a transformer to reduce the applied voltage..

Reply to
stu

"Technically speaking those fans are not guaranteed to even start at

115 VAC. Minimum operating is about 185 or so (I had problems downloading the PDFs so I couldn't get the exact specs and am going by general AC fan characteristics). If they run it's okay but you should be aware that some time they might not (age, lubrication, dirt, etc. not to mention that 115 is nominal and can be even lower) and then you've got a locked rotor situation where the current will shoot up (no back EMF from rotation). They've probably got locked rotor current protection though so they shouldn't do something drastic like catch fire."

Perhaps this is your implied caution?

Reply to
stu

From: alt.engineering.electrical

Depends on the fan motor really, I have run my furnace fan motor on reduced voltage to keep air moving about the house and through the electrostatic air cleaner. If its a belt drive affair I wouldnt run it on 120v however most direct drive motors are series poled motors meaning 6 or 8 poles are switched in and out for diffrent speeds eg 4 poles for 1750RPM no load speed.

Mine has been running on a switch relay for years switching to high speed 240v for demand then switching one side down via SPDT relay and moving one side down to neutral to slow the motor when the stack temp drops below the cutoff point. Havnt replaced the motor yet in 17 years now and I have been running the switching relay since I installed the heating plant, only oil the bearings a little more often.

Word of caution: If its a capacitor start motor I wouldnt reduce the voltage, the start winding will overheat.

-----------------------

I have a capacitor RUN motor not a capacitor START motor.

Comments?

Reply to
stu

Exactly!!! You are trying to lump *ALL* motors in one big pile. Sure you can run a DC motor at half voltage and it will run...granted with reduced horsepower and higher amp draw, and a 240v PSC fan motor will run *briefly* at 120v and 1/10 of its rated speed. Again, why would you want to do it ON PURPOSE??

I wouldn't even think of trying to run a PSC motor at half voltage...why would you want to?? its counter-productive, and not what the manufacturing engineers designed it for.

A "compressor" doesn't have a fan.....a "condenser" does.

I'm not a motor design engineer, but I do know enough to know when somebody is trying to feed me a Twinky filled with something I don't want to step in. Sorry, I'm not bitin on it.

You never did answer my question.... what class are you taking that you need this information??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Read the post from an electgrical engineer above your post. He was talking about a 220 VAC motor. 17 YEARS enough proof?

A "compressor" is name of the box in which the compresser and the fan is housed.

It is good the be exacting. (but I think you knew what I meant).

Reply to
stu

To EVERYONE: I think you can see from the line above that you are all dealing with a retard. Now he wants to argue that an outdoor cooling unit is called a compressor and not a condenser!!! He has trolled here long enough. Say goodbye to this Butt-Fuck. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba
.

Cooling unit?

Oh! The thing.

It doesn't matter if I called you a genius, you are the opposite.

Calling each other names is what this thread enjoys, not learning a damn thing.....

Reply to
stu

Reply to
DIMwit

Learned that my killfile still works.....

*PLONK*
Reply to
Noon-Air

I will not quote any one of you some of you missing the point there for most of you are right but some of you are wrong you don't bother reading between the lines "SMILE" The motors as is been said that start with start capacitor or centrifugal switch on primary wining CAN NOT BE USED WITH REDUCE VOLTAGE, however the shaded pole and multi-tap winnings that use running capacitor or with out running capacitor CAN BE USE FROM APX. 20% of it's rated voltage to a full rated voltage, and you can use some of house light dimmers to control speed of the motor. the speed will not be linear but it will work those are the facts I did it and I have equipment that uses exact what I just describe. I know some of you will disagreed don't blame me because you lack experience. Dido

Reply to
AKS

Reply to
Bubba