NG Heat Ripoff and Convert SP Furncace

OK....I've got a NG Standing Pilot Burner furnace the size of a VW Beetle. Puget Sound Energy just happily announced a 13% cut in NG prices, stating the "average household" monthly heating charge would drop to just $82. BULLSHIT. I had my furnace OFF all July, and got a bill from PSE for $94- just to run the pilot. I've had the meter turned off all Aug and Sept., to see if they're prorating me. Anyway, it's getting cold, so I want to covert my furnace to electronic ignition, so there is no gas flow unless it's on. I don't want to grab my ankles for a 'guy' to come out and do it, so is there a retrofit kit type thing that I could do myself? I see some Honeywell valves on Ebay, and some kits, which don't seem to include the ignition side. I need the whole thing. I realize the dangers, liability, etc, so the discussion does not need to go that direction. Ideas? Thanks JR

Reply to
JR North

Either they are prorating you or you have some other gas appliances. Your pilot is not costing you anything worth worrying about.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

electronic igniton is not going to save you much if any , this ng is not intended for homeowner advice , but rather a forum for proffesionals involved in the trade unlikely you'll get anyone to sell you this equipment unless you can prove working knowledge of same, and you've already let the cat out of the bag it can be done , but your more than likely spending good money after bad

seriously , look into replacing that old dollar bill eater with a high efficency furnace , higher the better ng is not going to get cheaper , how old is this vw sized thing ? standing pilot gives a good idea

installing electronic igniton on a standing pilot furnace is not a diy

JR North wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

An average standing pilot costs about $2.00 a month (in our area prx 90 cents a therm...) Sounds like you've got a gas stove, gas water heater, or a leak... If you try to swap in electronic ignition, with a kit from e-bay... have the neighbor put 911 on speed dial & install the window shutters.

When the whole thing goes BOOM, don't get any on me...

geothermaljones

p.s. after your rapture, can I have your stuff? (the stuff that started over 50' from the crater... other stuff will land farther... some won't be found at all, arms, legs, gray matter???)

Reply to
geothermaljones

Cheap bastard... just replace that Jurassic POS and be done with it.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yeah. Look at the serial number on your gas meter, as well as the current reading. Now go look at the bill and see if the serial number listed there, and the readings are anywhere close. You very well could be paying for someone else's gas. If there's a mismatch, take some pictures of the meter. No.. wait... Try to figure out how much gas that VW Beetle sized furnace uses compared to what you are being billed for by taking your own readings and doing the math. You might find that while you are paying for someone's pool heat during the summer - that $94 bill you got when you used nothing - the year round total is a bargain because they (the house that has the meter you are being billed for) have a modern furnace.

When the meter reader walks around reading meters, he/she really doesn't care about your address. The serial of the meter goes into the handheld, along with the current reading. Who's house it's at (supposed to be at...) gets sorted out later. If your meter (the serial number they think you have) is on the same reader's route, this won't ever get figured out until someone bitches, or they decide to do a calibration pull of your meter (this applies to gas, electric, and probably water), and they expect to find meter xyz-1234 according to the paperwork, but xyz-2232 is what they wind up with in their hand. Here, we now have electric meters with radios in them. They just drive down the street, and never get out of the truck.

Meter mix-ups are actually fairly common.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

Reply to
JR North

Ya, leave.

Reply to
<kjpro

here comes mr pissy pants , didnt get what he wanted ,

im sposed to give you information and access to parts , just because you asked ? i worked for years to learn what i know , and i know that you dont know what i know and now im supposed to just give it away ?

Bottom Line Mr Homoaner - you dont know what youre doing . you have a dinosaur of a furnace you are not going to get what you want here . we are not going to help you endanger your life or those of the people around you go away !!!!!

JR North wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Reply to
JR North

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Keeee-Rhiiiiist buddy. Grow some freggin Gonads you little school girl. Ive seen bigger nads on a frog. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Just call Stormy......... He&#39;ll do it.

Reply to
U-Hate-Me

:-)

Reply to