Natural Gas HVAC

BTW if anyone is thinking of a generator to operate an air conditioning compressor, remember that you will need a much larger generator than the one that can supply the running current of the compressor, the thing you must also look at is the starting current required of the compressor.

If the generator is not large enough to supply the starting current it can stall, or slow right down and supply low voltage power to the compressor.

The compressor will not like that.

On top of that generators are not cheap to run.

Reply to
<ramrod

I take it your coolant Certification is either nonexistant or is not a Universal.

what, 60 years ago?

It is still around and still in use for certain needs. Do you really think that such technology dies just because you don't understand it or are afraid of it? Maybe we should use nuclear units for our absorption units and really make you piss your britches.

Are you just learning that?

So do cars when improperly utilized or are in an accident. I suggest you check out packing plants and Blast cooling plants. We have had 2 fellows from Minnesota killed while charging and recovering R410A in the last few years. Many have suffered death or injuries while charging R12 in in Automobile systems. Hell, Out in California a Sail Boater even died by choking on too much bubble gum. Ever hear of reefer ships for transporting spoilable goods. Navy and Coast Guard have lots of them.

Apparently your method of checking is flawed.

and found they were quite inefficient

Why don't you go to the N Gas suppliers for that information? I will again state that the N Gas A/C were very efficient and cheap to operate. Much cheaper then electric. I would also suggest the Physics department at MIT for information.

I guess that is why recreation Vehicles use absorption refrigerators. Even though the units are a bit high priced..they are favored. No change in decades.

I take it you are another loudmouth that requires others to do *Your* Homework. Might I suggest a good Thermodynamics course at a rated Institution of higher learning?

Yes I did. And you have yet to disprove that. Or that the Gas suppliers data was incorrect. I did also state that the initial cost of the equipment was expensive.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

It seems we have here PaxPerPoten a labourer who cleans filters and thinks he is a refrigeration engineer.

Yes in wine etc..

Show where it is still used as a refrigerant.

-------------------------

Household natural gas absorption air conditioning units.

Is it now.

I do not need to as I have proof of just how much heat they need to produce cooling, something you dodged. You are typical of big mouths who raves and do not know what they are talking about.

Here is a current unit.

AR Series GAHP Line

Cooling capacity BTU/h 57,700 Gas input BTU/h 95,500

That is 95,500 BTUs of gas to produce under 5 ton of cooling. Of course then you have to add the cost of electric power require to make them operate

Operating consumption kW 0.75

As I said previously "I checked it out it was around twice the amount of heat to get the cooling. Yes this may have improved since then"

By looking at these numbers it does not seem to have got much better, despite your ravings.

BTW your statement of "The N.gas air conditioners WERE super cheap to operate." indicates in earlier times, BEFORE the cost of natural gas got so low.

==============================

The reason they use absorption refrigerators is simply power availability. Rec vehicles can be where there is no mains power and to run a fridge off the batteries would mean running them flat within 12- 24 hours if there was no way of charging them available. If you were at a no power camping site for a week of so you would have no refrigeration, with a gas absorption refrigerator that is not a problem.

Reply to
<ramrod

I ask again.

Are there any residential-sized AC compressors that have nat-gas powered motors?

Reply to
HVAC Guy

This time, pay attention......

Steve

I have never seen one.

Reply to
<ramrod

Please!! You are extremely boring. Just another wanna be gamer that is a bit out of its element. Thank Goodness ..not all limeys are inbred like you. ;-p

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

This replay that may concern any one, in regard to operate AC compressor it depend how compressor is set up, if it happen to be belt driving you can use any motor power by NAT, gasoline or diesel it depend what you want and what you looking for, many years ago in 50s I got acquainted with natural gas and absorption Refrigerators and at that time I did not know what "F" I was looking at but when you need something you get to learn hard way by doing and some time dangerous stupid things that I would not care to do it again. Question is if AC compressors can be powered by nat-gas hell yes "but do you really want that"

Reply to
grumpy

Years ago I worked on a multi door cooler for a convenience store that was an open drive R12 unit using a Ford automotive AC compressor. I think those old compressors were manufactured by BorgWarner. It was identical to what was under the hood of Ford vehicles at the time and it worked very well. Oh yea, it used a conventional single phase electric motor that was either 3 or 5 horse power I don't think it was home made either. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

open drive R12 unit using a Ford

BorgWarner. It was identical to what was

motor that was either 3 or 5 horse power I

Many things was done doing years and some places still is.

Reply to
Grumpy

grumpy top-poasted in fractured english:

Yes, I'd want to do it if the cost of running a compressor with natural gas is cheaper than electricity.

Nat-gas is at ridiculously low prices today. Electricity is exactly the opposite.

Reply to
HVAC Guy

Yep I hit the nail right on the head with my description of you !!!!!

Reply to
<ramrod

Of course you can drive an open (direct or belt driven) compressor with any motive power as you said, but for those thinking of such a system should be aware of seal leaks.

Seal on open compressor need oil on them to seal and if the compressor is not run for a fairly long period the seal leaks, and you lose refrigerant. This is the reason automobile air conditioners should be run once a week during winter.

The talk here was of domestic air conditioning.

---------------------

On commercial stuff with combustion engine driven system , I started up a large system for the separation of gas and oil on a oil and gas field. It had a gas (natural gas not petrol) engine driving a screw compressor. I put

9 ton of propane refrigerant in the system.
Reply to
<ramrod

The compressor is run more often then people realize, how do we get defogged windows in any vehicle this days, it was done by use of AC

Reply to
grumpy

Actually you pretty much described yourself. but you are good at producing a lot of natural gas here. Do rave on. ;-p !!!!!

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

The problem with using a natural gas motor to drive a compressor is it is very mechanical and would break often. You substitute lower energy costs (if any) for increased maintenance.

That was my premise for starting this thread. Where I am so far on this is that the natural gas chiller technologies like Robur - while low-maintenance and very reliable - are probably much less efficient than a modern electric mini-split design. I could not find a SEER rating for the air heat pump natural gas Robur unit, but figure maybe 17 SEER versus something around 23 to 25 for a Mitsubishi mini-split.

How much cheaper is natural gas than electric, once you add back all of the regulatory fees that utilities usually add to the raw gas costs? Is it cheaper enough to overcome the loss of efficiency?

You are the one who made the statement that domestic absorption air conditioning units were super cheap to run, I just proved you wrong with FACTS.

Now you just rave on.

Reply to
<ramrod

Actually you didn't. N.gas AC units run cheaper then electrical units. The initial expense of the equipment was its downfall. The N.Gas companies subsidized the installation for years and was reimbursed by the Federal Government. A HVAC and Plumbers Union Lawsuit claiming unfair subsidized competition ended that. Now the N.Gas utility companies can no longer sell equipment or repair it. NoHVAC company wanted to take up the slack and sell/service Absorption A/C..Thus it died. The N.Gas Utility companies are still subsidized by the Federal Government in America.

Blow me.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

With natural gas? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Prove it.

I gave you the gas usage of a around a 5 ton unit.

You keep raving it is cheaper to a domestic absorption air conditioning units than an electric unit. so prove it. (Super cheap you said)

You were talking about how cheap it is to run, that is not the install costs So prove your statement about how cheap they are too run.

Reply to
<ramrod