Natural Gas Exhaust

Is there a place online where I can read about the exhaust gas of a natural gas appliance? I want to know what it consists of, how hot it is, etc. This is just academic interest, and not any kind of harebrained scheme for everyone to start flaming me about.

Does anyone know the rough details? Roughly how hot, and what are the major component gasses?

Reply to
Eric

How hot depends on what kind of appliance. Same with the componant gasses(or portions thereof)

Reply to
Noon-Air

"Noon-Air" wrote in news:A5ednfILQIbwhqrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Such as a typical furnace and/or water heater for an average sized house.

Reply to
Eric

Again... typical for what part of the country?? 90+AFUE furnaces or 80+AFUE furnaces?? Can't tell you about water heaters... you will have to ask a turd chaser for that.

Now tell me... just what kind of homework are you doing?? and for what class??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Typical... Ancient natural draft furnace, mid-efficiency, new induced draft or new high efficiency...

Average... What's average to you is small to me.

Reply to
KJPRO

"KJPRO" wrote in news:57817$48373f20$9440c41e$ snipped-for-privacy@STARBAND.NET:

The question is where I can read about such things. Basically, the temperature and components of natural gas exhaust. I would expect such reading matter to include discussions of the differences from different appliances. Does anyone know of any online resource with this kind of information?

This isn't about a particular appliance or application, nor is it for a class. It's just that I'm curious to know what's in that exhaust gas, and how hot it gets. Maybe I will get asked some such question when I'm on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" someday. If they ask me Benedict Arnold's mother's maiden name, I already know that, and this is logically the next question I should learn.

Reply to
Eric

funny thing, with the variety of equip out there in the field right now, I agree there really isn't a typical any more.

Reply to
Joseph

Natural GAS = 87% CH4 + O2 = CO2 + H2O + 13% CRAP = 39.5 MJ

Reply to
Telstra

Category I Appliance: Operates with neutral/negative vent static pressure, flue gas temperature does not exceed 550 degrees, and conforms to NFPA 54 & UL 441 (B Vent).

Category II Appliance: Operates with neutral/negative vent static pressure, flue gas temperature is less than 140 degrees (F) above dew point temperature. May cause excessive condensation and conforms to NFPA 211 and UL 1738 (Corr/Guard).

Category III Appliance: Operates at a positive static vent pressure (at the appliance) at a temperature that does not permit condensation. Conforms to NFPA 211 and UL 103 (PIC, IPIC, PSW).

Category IV Appliance: Operates at a positive vent static pressure, flue gas temperature is less than 140 degrees (F) above dew point temperature. May cause excessive condensation and conforms to NFPA 211 and UL 1738 (Corr/Guard).

Reply to
SRN

"SRN" wrote in news:pq_Zj.89816$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.lga:

[good info]

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I wanted.

Reply to
Eric

More important though IMO--when exactly did you finally stop beating your wife ?

Reply to
over a barrel