Mold

i have seen stuff to put in my car air conditioning to reduce mold and mildew. I am looking for something redly available and scentless. Any suggestions??

Greg

Reply to
zekor

Are you looking for stuff for your car?? or your house??

Reply to
Steve

See if there is an access to the A/C's evaporator (cooling coil) as there is in many cars especially Asian models . You may have to remove the glove box., to get to the air filter compartment. Take the air filter out and youll be able to see quite a bit of the evaporator. Spray some bleach on the surface of the cooling coil and into the condensate plastic pan .. let it sit for 15 minutes, then spray some vinegar on the evaporator surface and pan. Let it sit for 15 minutes then spray some water over the evpaorator surface to throughly wash the evaporator fins. Button it back up and run the A/C for quite awhile to disipate the smell ; it will be strong for awhile, but will disappear. The bleach kills the mold and the vinegar nuetralizes the mold odor.

If there is no access to the evaporator , then use a product called Febreze available at Walmart and Grocery Stores...and spray it into the return air of the BLower/Evaporator Unit (under the dash near floor level) if you can with the blower running . Then turn off the Blower and spray some into each supply register . Let it sit for 5 minutes before turning the A/C back on. Febreze works real well at ridding odors .. at least for quite awhile. Thats about all you can do if you cant access the Evaporator directly.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Tnx. I'm not crazy about using bleach. I wonder about Febreze and what's in it. I can certainly try as I got more than one spray. Seems like most o the vehicle specialty sprays are costly.

Greg

Reply to
zekor

Definitely my truck. Seems like some system retain water.

Greg

Reply to
zekor

Definitely my truck. Seems like some system retain water.

Greg

Clean out the drain

Reply to
Steve

Only use the bleach if you can spray it directly on the evaporator surface. Bleach kills mold buildup and the vinegar used right afterwards nuetralizes the bleach odor in time. Its the most effective way of ridding the problem. Febreze works well but it wont kill the mold....just clear up the odor for a time.

Reply to
ilbebauck