Lochinvar Energy Rite 2

Has anybody had problems with the Lochinvar Energy Rite 2? I have 2 of them - one doing pool water and the other one doing the spa water. Neither will lite. I have the box pressure at 1.2-1.4" wc with the draft inducer running, and a total of 3.2" wc with LP gas pressure. The boiler is clean, as are the burners, the HSI is glowing - but these things simply won't fire. I have tried increasing both air and gas to 3.8-4.0" wc gross without success. In addition to the hi/lo hoses running to the air proving switch from the pressure box, there is a hose running from the box to the inlet side of the honeywell smart valve - the manual calls it a reference hose. If I pull this hose from the barbed fitting on the gas valve, cover the fitting with my finger, the boiler lights every time. Lochinvar's tech support does even recognize this particular hose - even though it is clearly referenced in their I&O Manual.

Baffled here. Graham Campbell

Reply to
Graham Campbell

Do you have a link (.pdf) to the manual?

-zero

Reply to
zero

I believe this is it. You may have to click on the I&O Manual. Let me know what you come up with.

Graham Campbell

Reply to
Graham Campbell

How much are you willing to pay?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

If I were you id double check the inlet and outlet gas pressure and the air pressure exactly the way that the I&O Manual suggests.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

Thanks. Like I said, I set it up per the manual. Lochinvar had people there today - they couldn't figure it out. A real confidence builder.

Reply to
Graham Campbell

I haven't been following this thread that closely, but we have had some uncurable problems with the unit. At least we thought they were. It ended up being the water flow switch on the waterside. We cracked open the bypass and had no other problems.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Ive never worked on the pool heater models but from the pdfs they dont seem much differant than the regular copper fin boilers.

Did you happen to have your U tube on the inlet and outlet side to see whats happining when the valve gets 24v? The only pressure tube problem Ive had on Lochinvars was the barbed fitting that goes into the burner was plugged with what looked like red Loctite. I cleared it and it fired right up. This tube that goes to the GV from the pressurized burner box, does it go into the GV vent? What did the rep have to say and what did they check? Does the GV have a steady voltage and just wont open or does the voltage drop out. What are the pressures when its tring to fire?

Its probably something stupid. One time I couldnt get a new Trane RTU to fire. I spent about an hour taking pressure measurements and dicking around. Then Im standing there and look over my shoulder and I see it. The Gas pressure regulator. I checked out the vent and sure enough it was plugged. Its easy to get wound up on the complex things and overlook the simple ones.

I dont think its a water side problem as BP suggested. But speaking of that, do make sure the flow switch works. It wont take long to burn up the HX with no flow.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

Yep. especially since the Honeywell smart valve is anything but smart. The Honeywell smart valve is a piece of shit. When the igniter glows try wiggling the wires on the gas valve. If that doesn't work then replace the valve, then replace your service company.

Reply to
Al Moran

Yes, the simple things are often the ones that get you. In my early stage of learning, I keep finding simple things wrong with systems. Maybe years from now, I'll still be finding simple problems?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, when the reps came out to look at their boilers, they found 2 things that could be the possible problem. One was a slight air leak from the firebox, the othe was a bit of crud on the bottom of the hx. They suggested that I pull and clean the hx and install a new gasket set. So today I pulled the hx to inspect the underside of it. It wasn't spotless, but it was clear enough to read a newspaper through the fins. In any event, since I had it out, I thoroughly cleaned it. I'm sure that wasn't the problem though. I'm having a new gasket kit and a new gas valve overnighted to install them tomorrow. I'm convinced the there is a problem with the "referencing" part of the gas valve. I can't prove it though - the only way will be to try swapping out the valve. This is one touchy boiler - and I'm thinking I don't much like them. If I can't overcome this problem I think I'll recommend they switch to a Weil McLain with a stainless indirect water heater. At least then if there is a problem, the parts are available locally. I was really suprised that Lochinvar couldn't figure out the problem with their own product. Thanks for all the input.

Graham Campbell Service Manager Landmark Service Co.

Reply to
Graham Campbell

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us...

Yes, but you will still be puzzled... simple mind & all.

Reply to
Tekkie®