How do hvac ducts work?

Having never used or owned a ducted system, I wish to know how reverse- cycle ducting works. What I usually see is ducts installed in the ceiling and vents going into the individual rooms. Does this mean air gets pumped into a room but never gets a chance to leave? How does air get back into the system so air can get recycled? Forgive my layman's understanding.

Reply to
ChrisW

You SHOULD have supply and return air vents if the system is proper. Now the reverse cycle thing....you might be talking about a heat pump. The heat pump unit itself reverses, not the ductwork.

Reply to
daytona°

how dose the air get back ? well it depends on how the system was installed in some systems there is a seprate set of ducts for return air in a mobil home the doors are cut short with a gap at the botem to allow air to flow under them and the return air is picked up through a grill in the door of the closit the furnice in installed in the hall becomes the return duct in this case in some suspened cellings the celling is used as the return with grills installed in the celling

ChrisW wrote:

Reply to
""rob"

Well Chris? There is many ideas out there some good some so so I am not HVAC person but according to your posting Reverse Cycle ducting to me would mean that air flow is diverted intake becomes outlet and outlet becomes inlet yes you can do that by use of dampers that can positively shut one side and open the other, However first you need some space to accommodate this setup you need good quality dampers so that you can make positive shout off like wise positive open this would make system more efficient winter and summer if duct are position properly and sizeable valet because it require some design and labor to do the job right Tony

Tony