Goodman evaporator unit

I have a Goodman U-36 Rev B evaporator unit installed in mid-2003 in new construction. System suddenly stopped blowing cold air overnight. Technician I called checks around, says there's no juice, leak somewhere. He opens up the evaporator box, sprays for leaks, and tells me there's a leak at the base of the A-coil. Bubbles appear where the arrow points at:

Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. He also says if he can't get the part locally, Goodman may have to manufacture one in Texas, which may take a while.

My questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? 2) Is the quote in range? 3) Are there other models I can put in besides Goodmans?

wjspm

Reply to
wjspm123
  1. Yes

  1. No

  2. Yes

Hope this helped

Reply to
daytona°

put in besides

evaporator. You can use what matches the Goodman condensing unit.)

Suddenly stopped blowing cold air overnight! Did he open the evaporator box first, if so why?

Most leaks are slow leaks, - if it was cooling perfectly well a few hours earlier, I question the techs finding. It would have to be a bad manufacturing braze job that failed later. There are a lot of ways to confirm a leak other than bubbles, did he also use an electronic leak detector? He said NO juice; all of it leaked out?

Those are copper coils & if he can get at the leak with his oxyacetylene torch he ought to be able to remove the refrigerant & braze it. Is the E-Coil still under warranty? If it is, why is he charging you 800 to 900 dollars to replace it?

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

put in besides

evaporator. You can use what matches the Goodman condensing unit.)

Darrell, Everytime you open your mouth its obvious you don't have the first clue about hvac. Keep trying though. You are quite comical. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Its probably toast.

When he installs the new coil, make sure that he puts a proper trap in the drain.

1) yes 2) yes 3) no

Reply to
Noon-Air

sounds like horseshit to me. how can a system have no juice & yet still produce bubbles?

also sounds like the technician is making a hefty sales commission on a part supposedly under warranty. oh wait, i know that answer....the freon that has leaked out isnt covered, so his charge is for freon & his labor which probably isnt included in the warranty

I recommend 2 things:

1) educate yourself on formicary corrosion- google it & look for the pdf file by Carrier on this topic and 2) research this product :
I have been using it for 3 yrs now on everything from 2 ton machines to 44 ton machines. Magically, the leaks stop.

The only negative aspect of this product is the technician is no longer justified in raping the consumer, unless of course he's gifted in the art of selling.

Reply to
gofish

Hey what's with that? JB :o)

Reply to
daytona°

So it blows cold fine during the day but not overnight?

What juice? Orange? Electrical power? Freezone?

I don't see Bubbles. When is her next appearance?

Ask Stormy for a conclusive answer.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Pat,

E-mail me off group about this please!

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

<kjpro

<kjpro

1) If it&#39;s actually leaking, yes. 2) Yes 3) Yes, good luck finding a new evaporator that will fit the existing coil box.
Reply to
<kjpro

1) If it&#39;s actually leaking, yes. 2) Yes 3) Yes, good luck finding a new evaporator that will fit the existing coil box.
Reply to
<kjpro

can put in besides

evaporator. You can use what matches the Goodman condensing unit.)

Come on, overnight doesn&#39;t normally mean overnight... ever talked to clients?

Why does it cost 8-900 for a coil replacement???????? Are you going to do it for FREE????????? When it&#39;s installed in 2003???????

Reply to
<kjpro

It works good on the smaller stuff below 2 ton like walk-ins and reach-ins. Another tool in the arsenal.

Reply to
Bill

Huntingdon Valley, PA Used to go the for spas

How about

North Huntingdon, PA? 15642

daytona°

He can fix it! $800 &#39;s a bit stiff though. Even in California, but a good tech can pull it, pressure it, pinpoint it, braze it, re-install it, evacuate, and charge. What&#39;s the big deal?

But if it&#39;s full of pin holes.... then a new coil is needed.

Reply to
Zephyr

The price is pretty close.... 3 ton, 10SEER evap coil replacement is around $775 plus refrigerant in rural south Mississippi

Reply to
Noon-Air

r you trying to confuse me, it realy isn&#39;t that hard!

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

not one bit

daytona°