geothermal exchange help

Greetings, I grow hydroponic lettuce in a greenhouse in Missouri. The plants are watered by a continuous stream of solution, which I also use to heat and cool the plants instead of heating and cooling the entire greenhouse. As you probably realize, this still requires a lot of electricty. What I was wondering, would it be effective to run the solution underground (like a geosourse heat pump without an exchanger) to aid in shedding some of the heat from the solution in the summer? It is my understanding, that around here, the ground stays a constant 60 F at least four feet. Would it be effective to bury - say 300 feet at

4 feet deep to help chill the solution or possibly warm it in the winter? My biggest concerns are that since the temprature gradient is so narrow that it may take a lot more buried pipe, and electricty to do the extra pumping, and that it wouldn't be worth it. Any help anyone could lend would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks, Travis Kroner

Reply to
kroner76

At what temp is the water at when it exits the well ( or other water source ) and how many gpm can you consistantly obtain from it ?

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

obviously you've never owned a greenhouse located in a northern climate.....typically its two layers of glazing seperated by a dead air space. Anything from double or triple paned glass to corrugated panels on the outside and a layer of vis-queen on the inside.

Reply to
gofish

Very common is to use a double layer of uv resistant poly film, with a very small fractional hp blower motor to keep the layers separated.

Hoping to finish adding hydronic mats for to provide 70 deg f bottom heat into ours early this spring...water source heat pump using outside air, electric water heater backup.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

I dont have to own one and the ones Ive worked in have two (its a huge operation) 350 hp boilers to heat the water for the in floor piping. They are constructed with single layer wavy transluced plastic panels. We service about a dozen greenhouses and they are all the same way.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical