furnace problem

I have a 1992-installed Rheem RGLG-05EAUER forced-air furnace on my second floor equipped with a Honeywell VR8204 gas valve I believe is original. The problem I have is intermittent, and logic tells me it is a clogged valve that sometimes becomes unclogged. Any advice is appreciated. Please help. Here is the sequence of events that illustrates my problem:

  1. Reset Thermostat
  2. Discharge inducer immediately engages for about a minute.
  3. Igniter burns red hot.
  4. No ignition.
  5. Blower motor comes on for a few minutes and then everything shuts down.

Everytime I fiddle with the valve, rapping it gently with a screwdriver or flipping it on and off, I seem to be able to reestablish gas flow temporarily. When that happens everything works great for a while, but the problem always comes back.

Logic tells me there may be an obstruction in the valve that I temporarily shake loose by fiddling with it. Please let me know if any of you have experience with this. Thanks

Reply to
dave

Just keep wacking it with a screwdriver.

Eventually the problem will be solved.

One way or another.

Reply to
Hate

It's not an intermitant blockage. It's either a bad board or a bad gas valve. Once the igniter is hot, do you get 24v to the gas valve? Do you smell or hear gas? Hear a click and no gas? Replace the gas valve...

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

You need to replace the thermostat. Its almost always the thermostat. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Try greasing the valve.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Bubba posted for all of us...

Bubba, I used to believe you but my research shows it's almost always the wiring. Wireless is the the way to go, go WAP.

Reply to
Tekkie®

nope.... try again

BTW... check **all** the safeties to make sure they are operating properly too.

Maybe if you put the correct valve in and adjusted it properly??

Logic says that your in over your head and to call a tech Thanx for playing

Reply to
Noon-Air