Duct Sizing Question

If I'm using 8" round duct to facilitate my returns, shouldn't the register boots and the takeoffs have the same area as the 8" pipe?

I have the same question with the supply boots as well. If the area of 8" round is

100 square inches, why then are there so many boots with dimensions like:

4 x 10, 6 x 10, 8 x 10 ?

It appears none of these boot openings or takeoffs have adequate cross-sectional areas to facilitate the round duct size I'm running to them. Won't the air volume be limited by the smallest piece in the branch?

I do realize this question is probably stupid, but my brain short circuited on this for some reason.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

were is you air duct calculator?

8" rd duct only has a 220 cfm capability with .10 static so, (2) 6" returns will be the max or you will get whistling

Reply to
daytona°

Reply to
Steve Scott

please explain how you go about doing that when a variable speed furnace blower will vary its delivered cfm from 50 to 100%. :)

Reply to
gofish

The duct has an air flow resistance related to it's size and length. It may be legitimate to have a bigger cross section on a long run to improve the air flow even though there is a lower cross section at the end.

Reply to
James

You're a PITA, Fish. :) But to answer your question you design for the max air flow, but then you knew that.

IMO, the trick really comes > Steve Scott wrote:

Reply to
Steve Scott

The linked pages below may not be perfect, but might help answer some individuals' questions.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell