Vent Duct Problem

How about an oval duct? TB

Reply to
tbasc

The GE Spacemaker over-the-range microwave requires a 6" round duct for proper venting over an "effective length" not to exceed 140ft.

I can't fit a 6 inch round duct; I can only use a 4" one because of space limitations.

I have to run it up 2 feet elbow it 90 degrees and then out 10' to the back of the house.

How less effective is a 4" round duct when a 6" duct is called in the description above?

Reply to
BN

I can fit a 3 1/4" x 10" rectangualr duct most of the way, but I can only use a 4 inch opening to the outside? How much are you losing if you funnel a 3 1/4" x 10" rect. duct and funnel everything out through a 4" round duct at the wall to the outside?

The microwave is capable of 315 CFM.

Reply to
BN

140 feet from a GE microwave......... I do not think so more like 14 feet. Yes I pulled up the pdf spec sheet. Yep it says 140 feet, I can not imagine that a 315 cfm fan could push air 140 feet.

If you ignore the instructions the exhaust function will diminish substantially. My last house had one that vented up and then out the wall. Total length of the run >3 feet, but there were 2 90's in the run. Outside you could feel air, but it never really moved much air. I called it the noise maker, instead of Space Maker.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
jstp

I would expect a 6" duct 140ft long to have more resistance to airflow than a 4" duct only 12 feet long. Sounds like you can get away with it.

Reply to
PipeDown

It won't work correctly and when you burn out the fan motor and the tech comes to fix it under warranty, he's gonna laugh...

Reply to
HeatMan