Duct cleaning hardware

Opinions, please on what type of duct cleaning equipment to buy. I've only used (once) the type with the air powered "cat-o-nine-tails" on the end of a hose. It worked, but left me feeling like it was going to beat the crap out of the crispy old silverflex. Is there any gentler type that's still effective?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

When flex is dirty enough to need to be cleaned, it just flat time to replace it. Its cheap enough, and a lot cheaper than a duct cleaning machine that actually *works*. May I suggest that when you replace the flex, use properly designed, sized and installed tin with R-8(minimum) insulation. If its done correctly, the tin ductwork will last as long as the house does. Might I also suggest that yhou quit using those cheap assed 3-for-a-dollar K-Mart special fiberglass filters.... they are worthless. Use a decent quality MERV 8 pleated, disposable filter.

Again, its not what you wanted to hear because its not gonna be FREE, and you might have to use a crowbar to pry open your wallet.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Ok... but there's a booming market around here for duct cleaning. People have freaked over mildew/mold/dust "pollution" in Florida. The two outfits in our area that specialize in it are busy continuously. By the way.... do you even _know_ what type of duct cleaning machine actually *works*?

I don't -- that's why I asked. The flying-ball rigs don't appear to be safe to the ductwork.

Yep. That will work in _some_ FL houses. Others, with the 2-in-12 roofs with no crawl area... eh! Got some midgets we can hire? Some of the little shed-roof homes around here would have us cutting out a raceway of access holes in the ceiling of every room to re-string even flex. Hard pipe would be damned near impossible -- even for YOU.

Gee! I thought my ducts stayed clean because of beginner's luck... now you tell me it's the filter box I installed. _I_ don't use the cheap filters, but don't tell our customers, because it's those 3-for-a-buck filters that make more work. (K-Mart closed around here-- they have to get them at Wally-World)

_I_ don't want it to be free. _I_ want to buy the equipment and charge for the service.

But, then, Noon, you're doing it again. You're still making me out as the homeowner on the cheap.

Let's see.... I want to fully equip a shop with HVAC repair and duct-buster equipment AND do work for customers just so I can get my ducts cleaned for free. Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Dolt.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If your just going to play at it, and do it for a hobby, then your just wasting your time and money. If you are gonna do it right, then you might want to consider going here;

Noon-Air

Usually a big enough pot to get him in a good pair of rubber gloves so I can get a grip on the feathers.

I've only

Reply to
David Moffitt

Thanks. That was a constructive suggestion.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh