Air Duct Cleaning?

Has anyone ever hired an air duct cleaning service before? We had one come out to the house for a $75 dollar 'special'. Well the guy goes into the attic and says our vents are loaded with mold. He shows me a flexible piece of duct just off the furnace and says look at this, it's mold. We can clean it for you. Then gives us an estimate for $900. The stuff looked like normal dust and dirt - not mold. Does anyone here have any feedback from this type of 'service'. We are going to get a second opinion from another service. Any feedback would be appreciated... TIA -O

Reply to
Ovid

Yup....here is some feedback from someone that has been to all the mold classes we can take in regards to HVAC...

Run from that company and dont pay them a cent. Period.

Matter of fact, post who it was and who told you. That is a common scam. SCAM I tell you.

Here is how it works..

First, you need to mold sample to be taken and determined what it is...runs about $100 or less from a reputable AC company. The results will take about a wek to 25 days to get back. IF you have flex duct, you CAN NOT clean it. It will be torn to shreads and be worthless. IF and ONLY IF you have a real mold issue, then if it IS in the ducts, replace them, find the cause of the mold...either from a leak, or someplace in the home, and add a UV-C band lamp BEFORE the AC coil. Remember..mold needs three things

Water Food Lack of light.

You cant fix mold in a flex duct. You can dress it up to look pretty, but you cant leave it in place and fix it.

Reply to
CBhvac

There are legit outfits and there are crooks. The low ballers are usually crooks as you found out.

flexible piece

Reply to
Art Begun

thanks, CB. i suspected as much. This was CMT Air Duct in Dallas, TX. i suspect they use their $75 dollar special as a lead-generator only. probably have never cleaned anyone's ducts for that price. i can have an a/c repair place take a sample? not sure how to proceed next...??? -O

Reply to
Ovid

This is Turtle.

Run and don't walk away from this company. your being scammed !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

open the front door and push the guy out of the house, he is trying to rip you off... with the word of mold most homeowners are gonna panic.... and go for this: and the guy is gonna take and do a $100 job on the house and pocket the rest...... playing the odds he is gonna make money as enough people will fall for his pitch and for those that dont, well he made $75 for the scare, which was probably a $35 service charge..... i am sure the owner of the company could afford to pay a guy and put out trucks all day long with a potential to make $900 for a $100 job..

Reply to
jim

Know of any reputable ones in the DFW area???

Reply to
Ovid

Reply to
Ovid

Check this out.

As I remember from when I waded through it a year or so ago, it said 98% of houses do NOT need duct cleaning....

Reply to
HeatMan

i want mine cleaned also, might be cheaper for me to buy the brush and then make a big vacuum to attach to hose and do it myself, or rent the equipment???? seems pretty easy to do..... that all you have to do is get the dust, dirt out.....

Reply to
jim

I usually think the people that spend money to clean their ducts also buy variable annuities. It's really a great thing for the seller.

Reply to
Phisherman

It is...any company that advertises a low price for something like that....say..even a company that claims to have a $60 Winter Tune Up Special for your furnace, is scamming someone. Period.

Probably not. And actually, if you test that mold and its nothing but dust...you have a reason to go to your state attorney generals office....and I would.

Most, if they are trained in it can...many stay away from it.

I would go to my Lowes store, and get a mold test kit for about $10. Follow the directions EXACTLY and send it to the company and get it tested. They do a fair job on the tests, and while the test results may not be real clear, it can tell you what is floating around in there.

Reply to
CBhvac

Here is something to think about...

IF your duct system is tight, and you use a filter, and have your unit serviced like you should...WHY do you need your ducts cleaned? Even the return air duct, while it might have some buildup in it, the supply side should be clean....if not, you have bigger issues, and they need to be addressed.

Reply to
CBhvac

I would look for one that advertises that it does commercial buildings.

looked

feedback

Reply to
Art Begun

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You need this service like you need to have your headlights rotated.

Boob bait for suckers.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Actually, the whole reason I had them come out was to clean our dryer vent - there was a bird's nest in it (I saw the bird fly in the vent). We bought the house in March from owners who were quite neglectful so I thought why not get the whole package since everything else about the house was in a state of disrepair. However, I'm not a fool. I knew this guy was full of s---! All the comments in this group have confirmed this. Thanks, everyone!! -O PS I think I'll try that mold test from Lowe's. I hate the idea people can get away with this sort of thing!

Reply to
Ovid

This is Turtle.

Ovid, If you will put a good media filter in the system and wait 6 months , you will have a pretty clean duct system for all of the loose stuff will be loosen up and have came out. If it does not clean the system up in that time you have some duct leaks that is bring in trash or dust in to the duct work. If dust does not go into the duct system. you don't have nothing in there to clean out.

So fix all the leaks and get a good filter and you don't need a cleaning.

So if you keep the air system leaks and don't keep a good filter in it. You need to have it cleaned ever so often.

No Air Leaks + Good filter = No duct cleaning.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Does that mean I'm unlikely to make a good living running my own Headlights Rotation R Us franchise?

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

IF you do anything, just have the flexible duct replaced. Do not even think about having your ducts cleaned.

And in dallas, you will be wise to have the installer use the higher rated R value on the new ductwork. It will lower your electric bill.

PJ

Reply to
PJx