Compressor delay

2 1/2 ton res condensor unit compressor lags fan start by two minutes or so (usually - sometimes starts simultaneously as it should).

What to check? Pressures are normal...

Reply to
pk

Brand and Model# would be a great help. So units have a starting kit...some hard start, some thermister and some none

Reply to
daytona°

Check the crummy "add - on" TDR [if there is one.] Most of them [solid state] fail or time out indefinitely.

Reply to
Zephyr

Check anti-short cycle relay or for the equivalent circuitry on the control card.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Curious, what exactly are your pressure readings ?

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Pretty sure you need a new thermostat and low voltage wiring. Sounds like a short has gotten yours out of sync. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

"... as it should?" Who says? It's probably protecting itself from short cycling.

Reply to
CJT

Did you read this before you posted it?

Reply to
<kjpro

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

So why is the fan energized, but not the compressor?

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Check if compressor is attempting to start as fan start but then it doesn&#39;t listen for hum on compressor or click if it has ext.overload like switch this will tell you that compressor is trying to start but it doesn&#39;t if either one of this accrue add hard start kit that may eliminate your problem also if you compressor delaying start when is hot only then definitely add HS kit

Reply to
Tony

I agree with another poster that a model number.. at the very least... would be nice!

Q: I&#39;ve never seen a resi condenser that didn&#39;t start the fan/compressor with a single contactor across the line. I suppose there are VS compressors now on high-end units that would be different (of course)... but I&#39;ve never seen one.

We do control the condenser fan separately in some commercial packages we put together.. with good results, although it&#39;s expensive and requires a lot of controls and VS inside and out. Of course, special attention is needed in the reefer circuit for this to be successful.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

PFM