Clay Radiant Heater Fired by Bituminous Coal -- any Real-Life example?

Hi:

I'm currently daydreaming about a radiant heater that is made of the same clay used by tandoor ovens and uses ignited bituminous coal as a source of heat. Has such a heater ever been built in the history of mankind?

I think this radiant heater would be pretty and would smell good. I love the smell of clay and bituminous coals.

When I think of radiant heat I think not only of the heat itself but also the visual beauty of the part of the device emitting the thermal radiation.

It would be even prettier if this tandoor bituminous coal radiant heater is shaped like a pyramid.

The red hot bituminous coals emit hot volatiles that heat the clay. The causes the clay to emit infrared radiation. Within this heater there is just enough oxygen for the coals to glow red hot and self- sustain this combustion. The oxygen content is insufficient to make the coals emit flames.

Once again, the purpose of this hypothetical radiant heater is not just warmth but also to please the eyes and nose.

Thanks

Reply to
GreenXenon

I read plans many year ago, to make some kind of heater under a clay flower pot. Certainly not as well engineered as what you describe.

Any relation to the ceramic "Chimnea" which are sold in home centers?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is first time I've read about Chimnea. I just did a search on it and yes there are some similarities but it is still different from my hypothetical tandoor radiant bituminous heater. For example, the source of heat, the shape, and the material the oven is made of.

Reply to
GreenXenon