Carrier variable speed motor, duct transitions - any problems?

And what is wrong with that?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Not a thing! I'm all for edukation. :) I'd prefer NATE Certified tech's any day to bubba certified tech's. :)

Reply to
Zephyr

on the surface, nothing. now suppose the law stipulates that the only recognizable training leading to certification is that training provided by the electricians union. now whats wrong with that?

Reply to
gofish

Currently it is a 'state' test. If you pass, you're certified. The state of California doesn't care where you received you training. Just that you did.

Currently manufactures that required "certifications" usually are the certifier and offer the training. Albeit at a high cost, but they do offer it. Some are free.

Reply to
Zephyr

Hey, Hey Junior. Im not Nate Certified. Honestly, I dont see the need. I got my refrigeration certification (because I had to), I got my Journeyman and Masters HVAC certification (because I had to) and I have every other local and state certificate I need to perform the job I do. Guess what? Not a one of them made me any smarter in the job I do. It all comes from within. If you like what you are doing, you will strive at doing it better. Im a bit of a perfectionist so I take the training I need to do my job well. Im really kind of sick of all the govt mandated shit you have to jump through to "be a better tech/co." All it does is makes for a richer govt. Bubba "Bubba Certified"

Reply to
Bubba

I'm curious about this. Two of the several states I hold Master Electrician Licenses in have state tests... but you cannot even sit for them unless you have one hell of a lot of 'certified' training.

Can someone walk in off the street in California, pay the fee and take the test... or are there limited sanctioned 'certifiers' like we have in Michigan?

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Here's some interesting links on this for you

The certification process was pushed thru pro-union governor, Gray Davis by union dominated California Appreniceship Council.

some quotes from the links above:

The only electrical apprenticeship programs approved by the California Apprenticeship Council are administered by the Western Electrical Contractors Association (non-union), Associated Builders and Contractors (non-union) and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (union). WECA has opined that it is extremely unlikely that the union-dominated California Apprenticeship Council will recognize a need for additional programs.

and

While the testing and certification legislation had support from both Republicans and Democrats, opinion on the new law is mixed. Electrical unions generally support the law on the ground that it will raise industry standards and increase safety. Critics, such as the Fair Licensing and Apprenticeship Coalition, which has many non-union contractor members, assert that unions hold a "death grip" on the Division of Apprenticeship Standards and monopolize the California Apprenticeship Council. Moreover, they say, apprenticeship programs, which are dominated by unions, will force aspiring electricians to unionize. This will require employers to raise wages, which in turn will raise the costs of hiring an electrician.

Reply to
gofish

How about HVAC professionals policing their own, like the lawyers and doctors do now?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Sort of throws a wrench in all those fancy heat loss/gain calculations, no wonder everyone is undersizing today

Reply to
bungalow_steve