Actually, it could be a volumetrically compromised compressor?

I poped back in to see how this cellar cooler system was doing after my repairs.

It's iced again but this time the full charge still exists, subcool remains sufficient.

It's design saturated evaporating temperature is about 4 deg C, however, surely, due to an inefficient compressor the lower evaporator circuit freezes?

Marc O'Brien