I have a bad pressure relief valve on my hot water heater. how do I install a new pressure relief valve?
- Turn the water heater off.
- Turn the water heater's water supply valve off.
- Open the water heater's drain faucet and drain 5-gallons (may be more or less) of water out.
- Unscrew or cut-off the relief valve's drain pipe.
- Unscrew the relief valve and discard it.
- Apply Pipe Thread Sealant to the new relief valve and screw it in.
- Screw-on or solder-on the relief valve drain pipe to a length that's 6-inches above the floor.
- Turn the water supply back on, to re-fill the water heater.
- Turn the water heater back on.