What repairs/replacements can we expect for a 10 year old home in Virginia?

We own a 10-year old, two-story home (no basement) in Northern Virginia (we now live in California and rent it out). In the past year we have had to replace the refrigerator, water heater and smoke alarms - all upon notification from our property management company. Since we are not there to do regular upkeep and monitor appliances and systems ourselves, we have to reply on our tenants notifications and the property managers inspections to inform us about issues. I am wondering what other repairs/replacements we might expect to see around the 10-year mark? What appliances/systems have a 10-15 year life expectancy? What can we be proactive about in order to avoid cosly repairs/replacements?

Reply to
Sheri

Refrigerators and other major appliances made today do have a life expectancy of about 10 years. Always have your property managers send you detailed photos of these appliances needing replacement. Buying more expensive appliances does not mean that they will last longer. They may be hosing you and you may not really need to replace them all. A 10 year old home should have absolutely no major problems if it was built correctly in the first place. Shingles usually last at least 15 years to 20 years before replacement. When this happens have your entire roof covered with weatherguard and then have the new shingles installed over this membrane. Maintenance is the key to keeping the home in good repair. Don't wait until something gets broken. Have it inspected by a professional of your choice and not your property manager. They all seem to know each other.

Reply to
disqus_rFshpvllAs

We have had our water heater for well over 15 years and it is still doing well. Replacing safety things is a good idea at the ten year mark. Installing two water heaters in-line will increase the life of the heater. The first one in line is not connected to the hydro or gas and only the second one is connected. The water in the first one reaches room temperature usually 70 or so degrees and then only has to be raised to 120 degrees. Water coming into the house is usually 50 degrees or so. I think you see what happens here. The active water heater does not work as hard to raise the water temp. If you connect the first one and have the temperature set at 80 degrees then the wear and tear is even less on the high temp. one.

Reply to
disqus_rFshpvllAs