What price can I expect for....

What price range can I expect for having someone come in and sheetrock, including finish and sanding just the walls in a room it will take exactly

10 full sheets and 1 sheet cut in half to do the job. Then taped /mudded and sanded. thats all. I already have the materials and just want a ball park estimate for the labor.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Labor prices vary. They vary from town to town, and from state to state. The easiest way to get a real number is to pick up the phone.

RicodJour

You better get a few estimates from local people. It sounds like a one day job, with another half-day after each mudding --- maybe

2-3 mandays total..... My guess is something under $1000 --- Remember, it ain't hard work, but the guy has to make several trips out. Andy in Eureka, Texas
Reply to
Andy

Small jobs are the hardest to get someone to do. It will cost what it does.

Have you forgotten about texture?

Reply to
SQLit

Not if you pick them up.

Early at the Home Depot parking lot.

Plan on two men, 10 hours each, $10/hr, plus $15.00 for hamburger lunches and cold drinks. You may come out for less, but it shouldn't be more.

Reply to
HeyBub

Texture? I don't think so, its just going to be painted. Its only a playroom and I think my son is going to do the art work himself. He's 4 so this should be interesting, but he's an "OLD" 4 so I'm thinking hand prints and splotches. I was planning to do the work myself but things are getting hetic around here. This is our first house and our first "real" project. I know I can hang the rock myself but mudding/taping, I never seem to be able to get a decent looking seam.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

IF you could just pay for the same labor rate as the people doing the work make, a few hundred bucks. To get a drywall contractor to do it, a thousand - the extra is overhead and just coming out to do such a dinky job.

I'm in the same boat.

If you and your friends can cut and screw the drywall in place then you just need a couple half-days from a drywall finisher, so might be less, you can find someone to do that on the side for cash off the books probably.

Note that in big suburban developments, where these contractors want to work, there's three trades. One hangs, one tapes, one finishes. Finish is the skill hardest for the DIY person, it's murder to get it to look right if you don't have the knack for it.

Reply to
roger61611

I know it is not exactly in style anymore, but have you considered paneling? 11 sheets at $15/sheet is only $165, plus a few bucks for some trim. Plus, you can give taping and floating a try first, then if you do not like the results, then go with paneling. True, taping and floating is somewhat of an art, but it is not brain surgery. 11 years ago, we had to relocate a closet door at my parents house (from the bedroom to the hallway when I installed central air). I framed in the opening in the b/r and sheetrocked it, and my then 65 year old mother finished it out. It looks at least as good as any of the other drywall in the house. Hang the drywall, then take any leftover pieces and practice on them. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

It all depends on which ballpark you are in. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Factor in the cost of staying home to watch the job and protect your stuff from someone willing to do it for the low price you want to pay and you will realize that you need to DIY.

The biggest cause of a bad finish job is getting in too big of a hurry and putting on too much mud at one time. If you approach the finishing from the perspective that I am not going to sand anything, do it in multiple coats you will like the results a lot better. You will still sand a little. :)

If you want some tips on DIY, I bet you can get a lot of help here. If you still want to pay someone, the phone is your friend.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I had a huge replumbing job done and the guy left about a dozen holes in the walls all over the house. I thought the plumbing contract covered that (well, I didn't think anything about it until he said he was finished.) Luckily, I already knew a moon lighter who did good work for me before. He took care of all the drywall supplies, paints, and got the job done in pretty short order, although only working on Sunday and evenings. I trusted him, since he is the friend of a close neighbor, so I would sometimes leave the key under the mat and he would let himself in when I was not around. (I have to think up something new and get him back before he forgets me. Good handymen are hard to find).

I guess because there is so much construction in Northern Virginia its possible to find people who do dry walling on the side for cash. On that job and another I did not worry about contracts, licenses, and insurance.

Now I am getting a tree removed, but this is done by guy is in the business and is licensed and protected by a $1 million insurance policy.He was doing work for another close neighbor and says he did work for others. That neighbor has to negotiate professionally for contractors so I trust his judgement. For $800, the decision to go with a small business, not one of the big tree companies seems best.

Of course, it still hurts MY budget.

George

Reply to
GeorgeW6

some friends had a housefire and during the reconstruction hired out for drywalling. geez what a mess. big gaps, cracked corners and other nasties.

they ended up firing the first crew and hired in a nice guy to complete the job, it took him forever fixing all the mess the first crew left behind.

get lots of references for whoever you choose, preferably a referal from someone you know personally...

Reply to
hallerb