how do you repair a I beam (OSB) that was cut out for a air duct but never used?

I have a short span of several wood I beams - approximate 10-12 feet. One of the beams has a larg hole cut out for a air duct that was never used? How can I repair it back to original condition? Can I glue and srew OSB on both sides 3-4 feet either side? Thanks

Reply to
Anonymous

Sure, you can do that kind of patch, but there's no reason to. Presuming the hole's in the proper area and of the right size, then the beam's not compromised. Engineered wood I-beams are intended to have holes in them and they were developed exactly for it. The web/osb between top and bottom studs is mostly sacrificial. But again yes, if it makes you feel better then patch it.

Reply to
Anonymous