Subject Author Posted Replies

Planting in a Mound
My wife and I recently returned from a vacation that took us to Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Washington DC. While there, I noticed that many trees and shrubs are planted on top of small mounds (about...
4
4

Rusty container for vegetables
Hi, I have a container vegetable garden. One of my containers is an old wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it. The container has holes drilled for drainage. Is there a...
3
3

Successful transplants - I hope!
Having had major failure with tomato seeds sent by my Canadian friend (first time it has happened), I had to crawl to a nursery and buy a "Celebrity" tomato plant. Not sure if I ever grew them before....
2
2

Phoenix Roebelenii -Pygmy Date Palm
I've just purchased a Phoenix Roebelenii which is around 1m tall and was wondering what is the best method for feeding them. Should I plant it directly into the ground or move it to a larger pot? I'm...
1
1

My pot plants don't look very happy.
I presume you have drainage holes so yes it could be too much rain an not enough sun. You may want to prune back some growth beside deadheading and see if that perks them up.
5
5

young flowering saplings
Anyone have a RELIABLE SOURCE for 2-3' young trees, preferable flowering? Rich Haynes

Houttuynia cordata
Does anyone know how to eliminate this invasive "perennial"? Roundup has little effect......constant pulling seems to increase it....its all over my daylily bed so I cannot do major damage to the...
3
3

forgot to water small potted maple; is it dead?
Have a small maple in a garden pot; tree is perhaps 2.5 feet tall. tree is at least 4 years old, but stunted due to pot size. tree needed to be transplanted, but i forgot to water it after its leaves...
4
4

Leaf size, etc. in new growth on a tree
The new branch in this Japanese honeysuckle tree... of image) has large leaves, compared to all the other branches. It will turn into something that looks more like them, right? If so, how...and when?...

Confused about pruning azaleas and rhodies
I have a handout from the American Rhododendron Society that says the best time to prune rhodies and azaleas is in the spring, just after flowering. Makes perfect sense to me, but the plants aren't...
10
10

Growing kale in pots
Last year I grew about fifteen Lacinato or Dinosaur kale plants in 16" pots and had a good crop. I ate them regularly 3-4 times/week for about 9 months. This year I removed the plants from the pots...
6
6

Hozelock AC1+ Water Timer
Anyone had a problem with a Hozelock timer? I have just installed a system, very exciting, but I am now pulling my hair out. The system has an AC1+ timer screwed under the tap and then a pressure...
2
2

planting sweet bicolor and white corn in the same garden ok?
I've heard a few variations on this.. was curious if anyone had any thoughts.. I've heard its ok to plant the white corn and the bicolor at the same time, as long as you aren't saving seeds.. i've...
5
5

A Fine Morning in the Yard
Hi all, What with a triple header of 90+ degree days coming to New York, I made sure to get some stuff done. It's been a nice cool and wet Spring here until now, so I was able to harvest the last of...

clay in soil
I hv clay in the soil. It keeps the soil wet and cold any rememedy ? Also how to enrich the soil when it is dry, Does bone meal fertizer any help in the early stage, or peat moss ? Plz suggest s good...
14
14