Subject Author Posted Replies

Very nice resource
Don't know how many NYC residents are reading this, and it will never take the place of a soil test in your own back yard, but this is really nice information:...

did i pick right ones to cover my fence?
hallo, requirement: PRIVACY / quick growth if poss / leaves to end october-ish site and situation: - 6 foot high 50 foot wide chain-link fence - full sun thus full frost / some wind - 6 inches...
3
3

sunflowers wilting for no reason?
this year is my 5 year in a row of growing sunflowers in the garden , and they have gotton to near flowering now and there is a bud showing , and all of a sudden 2 of the 3 i planted have suddenly...
6
6

Why do I need blinds if the conservatory has solar glazing?
Can any one tell me ... Why do I need blinds if the conservatory has solar glazing?
1
1

Gerard B
Hi, The Laurel hedge plants at each end of the hedge in my garden are 7 feet tall but the ones in the middle are only 4 feet and not very bushy, while some have almost completely died. I've replaced...
3
3

Robust fall planted bulbs
I live near a wooded area with really rocky, sandy (crappy) soil. Very dry. Hard for anything to grow except vinca and english ivy. It's also a shady area 2-3 hours of filtered sun perhaps. I really...
7
7

Raccoon protection
I live in a city, but love sweet corn so I grow a little in my garden. Unfortunately, raccoons have discovered my corn and are eating it before it is ripe. The city frowns on killing them, and...
6
6

Leylandii grrrrr....
I have decided to fill my green waste bin with Leylandii clippings each fortnight till I have made a dent in the '@:!!!? hedge. Grown by my (previous) neighbour and left to grow, trouble is it takes...
1
1

Pruning wild rhododendrons?
We have a rhodie, transplanted to our garden from Mt Townsend on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington. It has become too leggy for our present setting (These plants normally grow to 10 - 12 feet or...
3
3

Problem with my mountfield sp535
I have destroyed the cable that hooks on to the handle that makes the lawnmower push itself. Just wondering if I will have to get this replaced or if there is anything I can do to fix it myself....

Tangerine bitter & fruit dropping too soon
Hidee frens and naybers! I have a 6 year old tangerine tree giving fruit for past 3 years. Have been fertilizing and watering per nursery advice except no ammonium sulfate added until last year (this...
2
2

De-weeding my garden
I live in Riverside, California (about 60 miles east of Los Angeles). My garden is loaded with Senecio vulgaris (common groundsel) and Euphorbia peplus (petty spurge). When hand-weeding, what's the...
5
5

The Fertility of the soil
Do you Know What Grows in your garden? How do plants grow? How plant food is made in the soil? If You need to find out
2
2

Kill weeds
My garden is loaded with Senecio vulgaris (common groundsel) and Euphorbia peplus (petty spurge). When hand-weeding, what's the best way to make sure I pull ALL of the weeds ("ROOTS AND ALL"). After...

Roses - how far apart?
Would like to get some real world input (to augment on-line info) about how far apart roses should be spaced. The area is So. Calif Coastal. The soil is good; enriched over the decades. The roses are...
4
4